Shindig - Tremelo effect ?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Shindig - Tremelo effect ?

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:43 pm

I was having a listen to Shindig today on the headphones - a firm favourite tune - anyway I noticed in the middle break section when HBM plays the first section second time around there was a definite tremelo sound in there and wondered if the tremelo channel of an amp had been used on this tune. Also were tremelo channels used on any other tunes ? Anybody know ? :?: :think:
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Re: Shindig - Tremelo effect ?

Postby rogera » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:50 pm

I've just had a careful listen Roger and I can hear the part that you mean.

I only occurs for about 2 seconds between 1.20 & 1.22. It does sound a little like tremolo but I'm more inclined to think that it was just some kind of fault or mistake in the recording.
rogera

Full Real Name: Roger Allcock

Postby Mikey » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:01 pm

roger bayliss wrote:I was having a listen to Shindig today on the headphones - a firm favourite tune - anyway I noticed in the middle break section when HBM plays the first section second time around there was a definite tremelo sound in there and wondered if the tremelo channel of an amp had been used on this tune. Also were tremelo channels used on any other tunes ? Anybody know ? :?: :think:

Tremelo channel was used on "Blue Turns to Grey", surely :?:
Mikey

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:22 pm

rogera wrote:I've just had a careful listen Roger and I can hear the part that you mean.

I only occurs for about 2 seconds between 1.20 & 1.22. It does sound a little like tremolo but I'm more inclined to think that it was just some kind of fault or mistake in the recording.

Yeah that's it Rog .. I am not sure but it's definitely there and seems connected to the lead guitar part so I wonder if the tremelo channel was used to add colour to the lead sound as it's certainly got a thing about it that does not seem just a simple guitar channel sound ... theres a character to the sound of Shindig so I am wondering if a hint of Tremelo was used to colour the sound. Pity my Heritage does not have a tremelo channel else I'd give it a try see if anything in the theory. :think:
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Burnstwanger » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:54 pm

Personal view - it's HBM enthusiastic use of the vibrato (whammy) stick.
Gerry
Burnstwanger

Full Real Name: Gerry Hescott

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:48 pm

rogera wrote:I've just had a careful listen Roger and I can hear the part that you mean.

This is an old posting but it prompted me to have a listen! To my ears the section from 1'20" to 1'22" sounds like what you get when a bit of oxide falls off a tape. Given that the recording was made on location at the Jubilee Theatre in Blackpool, I'm assuming a portable recording unit and the Shads using their white Fenders and stage gear. Basics rather than special effects. I'm sure if a tremolo were going to be used it would have been made a feature, as in Blue Turns to Grey or some tracks on the Shadow Music album, such as One Way To Love.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby JimN » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:39 pm

As far as I can tell, Hank rarely used the Vib-Trem effect on the AC30. Blue Turns To Grey is about the best known example. Bruce used tremolo on a few tracks on the "Jigsaw" LP.

The very best trem sound Hank ever got was the Bo Diddley-style effect on Willy And The Hand Jive, but that was recorded in 1959 with the Selmer Stadium amp. The Selmer's trem circuit was like a Fender amp's "Vibrato", with continuously-variable speed and depth (and no loss of tone response, as on an AC30, which requires eschewing of the Brilliance circuit).
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Tab » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:19 pm

Can't hear any tremolo effect but the hammer on notes in this section may be contributing.
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby cockroach » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:43 pm

Definitely sounds like Hank's use of the vibrato arm to me...
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby StuartD » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:03 am

Vib channel was used i think on Trying to Forget the one you Love and Dear Old Mrs Bell

When they did it live John used to switch Hank's lead to the other channel whilst he was doing the announcing

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Next

Return to The Shadows