Hank's 'Scotsman' Fender Strat Does Well At Swanky Auction

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Hank's 'Scotsman' Fender Strat Does Well At Swanky Auction

Postby Arpeggio » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:31 am

Well,
I was lucky enough to attend this 'higher end' charity auction last night at the Rolls Royce showrooms in Berkeley Square. I went 'suited and booted' - which was the correct decision. In truth - I was there as a guest of Cancer Research UK - to represent the Jet Harris Memorial Fund. Janet Hemingway and Audrey Knapp (who, after all, were the mainsprings behind the project's inception) were, for various reasons, unable to be there. I accepted the chance to go in their stead (to talk to anyone who might be interested about Jet, his music and the fund - allied to Cancer Research UK) - at ultra - short notice. I also used the occasion to distribute more JHMF leaflets.

As many of you know, I am very well - trained (LOL) re: promptness and punctuality. I arrived just a few minutes before the event was due to kick off and waited patiently outside. An officious (but efficient) doorman had a brief word (for that read 'vetting') with me and then ushered me inside. It seems that the people already inside were either members of the Rolls Royce staff or multi - millionaires. Anyway - one egregrious young man rushed up to me and said "Ah.....are you the client who was coming early to close the Rolls Royce Phantom deal?" I was flattered to at least briefly appear that I might be able to afford a 'roller'. Sadly, I had to quickly disabuse the earnest young man of my status!

Before long the showroom (the cars being temporarily moved out) was crammed with c. 200 or so guests. I spent the evening in the company of members of the Cancer Research fundraising team. During the course of the evening I spotted a handful of 'celebs' - but I didn't have the opportunity to speak to any of them. 'Whispering' Bob Harris, Jilly Cooper, Al Murray - who knows - there may have been others. Musical entertainment was provided by Beverly Knight and her guitarist. Not really my cup of tea - but she was very good.

Hank's 'Scotsman' strat raised the second - highest amount of the evening - going under the hammer for £3,000. The highest amount was raised by surreal artist Jerry Garcia's Gibson SG - which went for £7,500. The artist himself had flown to the UK especially for the occasion and made a moving speech before the guitar was auctioned off. It wasn't easy to take photos - but I managed to get one or two of the Jerry Garcia and Hank items - which I'm attaching.

There was a collection of exotic (& expensive) guitars on display. If anyone is interested - i'll post the pics of them. Nothing Shads - related - but I know that we have a lot of guitar buffs on this site.

Bests.....Rob :D

PS: My pics (file size) are too big. Once i've figured out how to edit them to make them smaller - I will post them - soon.
Arpeggio

Re: Hank's 'Scotsman' Fender Strat Does Well At Swanky Auction

Postby Arpeggio » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:46 am

OK - had to crop / reduce size etc. So...quality nowhere near as good - but....better than nothing! Hope they're of some interest.

Bests.....Rob :D

008 - Copy.JPG
(420.41 KiB) Downloaded 6553 times

009 - Copy.JPG
(362.26 KiB) Downloaded 6553 times

010 - Copy.JPG
(474.94 KiB) Downloaded 6553 times
Arpeggio

Postby neil2726 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:03 am

Good news indeed. Good job I didnt go - may have put a bid in for the lady holding Hanks Strat!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby Mark Burton » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:35 pm

strange - for some reason I would have thought it would fetch more than that :shock:
Mark Burton
Mark Burton

Full Real Name: Mark Burton

Postby Stratpicker » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:38 pm

OK OK!! It'll come out sooner or later so I'd better tell you - it wasn't me that won it !! :lol: :lol: :P
Stratpicker

Full Real Name: Ian Plant

Postby JimN » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:19 pm

Arpeggio wrote:The highest amount was raised by surreal artist Jerry Garcia's Gibson SG - which went for £7,500. The artist himself had flown to the UK especially for the occasion and made a moving speech before the guitar was auctioned off. It wasn't easy ...

You can say that again, Rob. He died in 1995.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Hank2k » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:41 pm

Im amazed it only went for that, wasnt the start bid £3k?
Hank2k

Postby Arpeggio » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:07 pm

Hi Jim, not that Garcia!!! (He of the Grateful Dead). Another person (artist) of the same name!! The 50th Anniversary SG (customised by Garcia - the artist) was donated by Gibson.

Rob :D
Arpeggio

Postby dave robinson » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:11 pm

Don't know about bidding on the Scotsman guitar, I reckon the chick holding it was worth a punt though . . . . . . . SPLENDID in fact :lol:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Arpeggio » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:10 pm

Tsk! Tsk! Gentlemen! There were quite a lot of very attractive, well - heeled young ladies in attendance - mostly with their extremely wealthy partners. But....everyone who was there was fervent in their support for Cancer Research UK - which was the main purpose of the event (which raised £17,000) after all.

Bests.....Rob

OK - here's another couple of pics of the delightful young lady holding the 'Garcia' Gibson!!! LOL

006 - Copy.JPG
(369.37 KiB) Downloaded 6403 times

007 - Copy.JPG
(444.98 KiB) Downloaded 6403 times
Arpeggio

Next

Return to The Shadows