Pick up wiring

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Pick up wiring

Postby b rankin » 16 Oct 2009, 18:05

does hank have his pick up wired differently, ie when pickup selector is on bridge pickup does it switch on neck pick up as well?
thanks

jonathan

PS Sheffield gig was awesome!!
b rankin

Re: Pick up wiring

Postby b rankin » 17 Oct 2009, 18:32

does anyone know????
b rankin

Postby stagetech » 17 Oct 2009, 21:11

Your second question is the best one, does anyone know!

Well I have seen hank pick up and play someone else's guitar, and get the same sounds out of it. So on that basis it seems unlikely. Also, Fender have made several versions, tribute guitars to the spec Hank uses, and to the best of my knowledge they are wired as standard. Although he does have his own preference of pickup, string combination.

You will see him switch guitars for certain songs, for some older tunes he uses heavier strings with lighter strings on some of the more recent tracks. Combined with his choice of Amp and pickups, this creates quite a different sound. It is more likely this is what you can hear. 8-)
stagetech

Postby bor64 » 18 Oct 2009, 22:31

All of Hanks strats are wired standard with a extra push/pull switch on the neck pot...so he can switch on/off the neck pu in every combination he choose with the selector switch....
So if he place the 5 way switch in position 2 and pull the pot he can even select all 3 pu's....
On the black strat from the seventies he did that with switches on the pickguard......
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Postby Stratpicker » 19 Oct 2009, 11:01

I have that Pull Pot combo on my Brason Strat and it is seriously useful!!
ALSO - change the wiring so that the lower Tone pot is for Bridge pickup, and the upper one for Neck and/or Middle. Very helpful in winding off any excess Treble easily.
Stratpicker
Stratpicker

Postby ernie1958 » 19 Oct 2009, 22:43

bor64 wrote:All of Hanks strats are wired standard with a extra push/pull switch on the neck pot...so he can switch on/off the neck pu in every combination he choose with the selector switch....
So if he place the 5 way switch in position 2 and pull the pot he can even select all 3 pu's....
On the black strat from the seventies he did that with switches on the pickguard......

8-) Hey Rob..I've asked David(Martin) about technical issues concerning the Burns Marvin..which pots,pickups,wiring diagram,etc. and he advised
me to ask you about this seeing as you have sufficient knowledge of these things according to David.
What I would like to know is...are there any differences in the wiring of a Marvin compared to that of a Strat or are both simular?
And are there any differences in pot and cap values between the two?In short..have you ever peeked "under the hood" of a Marvin?
These are just a few things I'd like to know coz I'd like to upgrade my Marquee to Marvin standards... ;)

Cheers,
Ernie
ernie1958

Postby bor64 » 20 Oct 2009, 17:17

Hi Ernie,

Well Ernie, I could answer you in Dutch....but most of the folks here like to read it also.....
Yes I peeked under the hood of a Marvin...what would you like to know??
A original vintage diagram,anniversary or modern aka legend diagram....?
As you may know a Marvin is a kind of special copy of a strat,with special gizmo's to avoid the patent mumbojumbo of Fender....
Original pots of the sixties were from Morganite 1meg, the switch was in 2 different formats the early one was just a turning switch on it's side with a lever...the second a shifting boxy switch....the leads where solid and bend in a shape.
The later type Marvin/Legend/Anniversary etc has just the same as a strat....
But you wrote the wish to turn a Marquee in Marvin.....eeerrrrr I have both....you need to deal with more than electronics my friend ....
My advise is just save some money if you can and buy a 1964 replica Marvin ....it's different ballpark believe me....
You can ask David a Custom build Marvin sounds different than the China made and all will sound different from an original oldie...although the custom build from Barry Gibson the one really build in GB sounds like an original..... but louder!

Groetjes
bor64

Postby ernie1958 » 20 Oct 2009, 21:53

8-)Thnx Rob..I definitely know there's a difference between a Marvin and a Marquee.In the Marquee I found 500k pots for both volume and tone.
The Marvin has 1Meg pots you say so that's one thing that's different.I can swap out the 500k pots easily for 1Meg.But I was wondering if ALL pots
in the Marvin are 1Meg or only just the volume pot?That's why a wiring/components diagram would make things so much easier.I woud be very
grateful if you could provide me with one of let's say the "Legend" Marvin..I think that would be most sufficient for what I would like to do with the
Marquee.As for the switch I put in a 5-way USA Strat selector as a substitute for the crappy Chinese switch..so there's also an improvement!
I also noticed that the bridge-pickup on the Marquee has no tone control connected to it...maybe this is otherwise in the Marvin?
Again,a wiring diagram would fill in all of the answers I need to get the job correctly done Rob.I'd also know exactly how the pickup selection
is done and could wire the Marquee accordingly.So you see..lot's of questions that maybe you could shine a light on for me... ;)

Bij voorbaat dank Rob,
Groetjes,
Ernie

P.s. Sorry guys if this is a bit "off-topic",but I just need to know...cheers! ;)
ernie1958

Postby bor64 » 22 Oct 2009, 06:51

Hi Ernie, yes a lot of questions...but most of them are easy to answer.
The modern Marvin/Legend guitar has the same electronics diagram as a strat......those 500k pots are also in a modern Marvin so you can leave them in.
The Marvin is like I wrote before a kind of strat with a twist....the bridge pickup is also left out in the tone diagram so no tone altering there!
Your Marquee is electronically wired the same as a Marvin, except some Legends and Marvin have a neck tone pot with a push/pull switch build in.
I don't know what you will win with this altering your Marquee,but don't think for a minute that your Marquee will sounds more to wards a real Marvin after all this.... :?:
Rez-O-Matics and Rez-O-Tube and some wood are the missing link.
The China made Marvin's are voiced more like a strat, a real vintage Marvin sounds a lot different!
I have Marvin's from every building decade and believe me the real custom build GB Marvin,sounds like my original 65 on steroids :mrgreen:

Groetjes
bor64

Postby David Martin » 22 Oct 2009, 07:26

That's interesting stuff, Rob. As you know, I had an original Legend when I played in Holland and Germany, and for our first performance at ShadowMania. When the 40th Anniversary Marvins were released, I got the third one available in UK (after Hank and Bruce)...

If you remember, this reissue was held up as a result of delays in the production of the scratchplate material, so the first few of the "Chinese" Marvins, like mine, were sent out with old style scratchplate material - which, over time has warped just like the old ones. I found I liked the new guitar so much that I sold the Legend, and have played the reissue consistently ever since. I could find no difference between the two in terms of sound... Indeed, I have a set of '60s Marvin pickups here, and put those in to see what the difference would be, and... the difference was... no difference!!

But I'd still like to own an original Marvin. The last one appearing on Ebay in UK was priced at £3999... and I just can't afford that now that I'm not working...

I'd be interested in your thoughts.
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Main Board