News from LegEnd

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

News from LegEnd

Postby martcaster » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:18 pm

I guess a few of you will have heard on the grapevine that David Martin has made the reluctant decision to leave Legend, sadly resigned to the fact that arthritis in his left hand precludes him from playing rhythm chords as effectively as he would like - and as the music demands. Many of you will know that David & Terry traditionally shared rhythm & lead duties and David felt it was unfair to expect Terry to wholly take over rhythm duties while he became our principal lead player. We fully understand this decision, albeit that we're extremely sorry to see David go...........we've had some fabulous times together, achieving things we'd all only ever dreamed of doing.

But we're determined not to stand still, and are delighted to welcome to our happy band Tony Hoffman, someone with whom many of you are familiar. Tony is the long-time publisher of Shadsfax and is, himself, no mean guitarist! He is highly proficient on both lead and rhythm and has long been looking for an opportunity to play some 'serious' Shads music. So we're delighted to welcome him on board and Chris, Terry & Martin along with Matt, our keyboard player are looking forward to getting back to playing regularly and expanding our repertoire. I'm sure you will join with us in wishing Tony every success in his new role.

As Chris Jarvis says, "Tony is a very handy guitarist – he only lives only a couple of miles from our practice venue!"

Indeed, as David says, "If I had to do it all over again, I'd do it all over Tony!"
martcaster

Full Real Name: Martin Verrill

Re: News from LegEnd

Postby BobGreg » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:54 pm

I was aware that David had relunctantly had to leave Legend - I've always enjoyed listening to your music over the years as you have developed into a very accomplished group covering those great Burns tunes - I have all your CDs - but keep that quiet otherwise I'll be accused of being a "groupy".

I for one would like to thank David for his immense contribution in sharing the lead with Terry and I'm sure that "Hoffers" will fit in very easily - don't forget he has jammed with Hank in Perth - so he comes with quite a high pedigree!
BobGreg

Postby Paul Creasey » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:55 pm

LegEnd Lives!!.................EXCELLENT news!
Thanks, Mart.
Regards
Paul
Paul Creasey

Postby rogera » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:22 pm

I'm sorry to hear that David has chosen to leave the group due to the arthritis in his hand but at the same time it's great to hear that Legend will be getting a worthy replacement.

I'd certainly like to wish you well and look forward to seeing you again.
rogera

Full Real Name: Roger Allcock

Postby alewis41 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:44 pm

Uncle Tony! Quite fitting in a way as he and David have each made a major contribution to preserving the legacy of the Shadows.
alewis41

Full Real Name: Andrew Lewis

Postby bgohara » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:51 pm

sorry to hear about David's situation - he made a terrific contribution to Shads music - I really enjoyed seeing 'Legend' at Shadowmania...
I'm sure that Tony will do a great job

Bernie
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby Shad1 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:30 am

Very sorry to hear of Davids retiral from Legend. It must be a hell of a wrench to have to bow out so to speak but I can assure you that your playing - lead and rhythm - were very much looked forward to when the 'Scottish Contingent' came down to Newcastle and Scarborough.
We will, of course, continue our support for Legend in the years to come.

Thank you very much David.

Malc.
Shad1

Full Real Name: Malcolm C McEwan

Postby RayL » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:15 am

Having had to keep quiet since the beginning of September (my wife and I were
staying at Tony's Guest House when he went for the 'tryout' ) I can now congratulate
Tony for having 'passed' and congratulate Legend for having chosen an excellent guitar player!

I also pass on salutations to David, who we visited during the same holday.

(by the way, I can recommend Tony's Abbingdon Guest House if you are looking to stay
in the York area)

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby David Martin » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:57 am

Thanks to all of you for your kind words. I'm delighted that the band will continue, and even more so to learn that it's Hoffers who will take my place.

I'm continuing to play lead for as long as I can, so I'm now looking for a band who need an arthritic sexagenarian lead guitarist (own hair, no silly hat or pony tail) who loves Shads music...

Best foot forward LegEnd... :lol:
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby George Geddes » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:00 am

Nah, I don't buy all this. It's only a matter of time before we see "David Martin's Legend" out on the road...

Seriously, good luck to Tony, and to David.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Next

Return to The Shadows