News from LegEnd

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: News from LegEnd

Postby ernie1958 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:47 am

8-) I wish "legend" all the best and David the best of health.. ;)
ernie1958

Postby tonykiek » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:55 am

Sorry to hear that Dave has left Legend. I also have all their CD's and George, Baz and I have jammed with various members of Legend at several Shads clubs around the UK, so we know them all. We have lots of pics of those times which I treasure.

Dave was (and stil is) an inspiration to me in several ways. Firstly, when I heard his recording of Waffles (on the old UK MSN site) I thought, "that is a brilliant piece" and set about making a BT for it. I mistakenly thought it was a Warren Bennet composition (as it's about his little dog) but when I visited Dave at his home in Lincolnshire he set me straight about that. Baz and I have since played it lots of times at gigs.

Secondly, when I ran into trouble as the webmaster on the old Sydney Shadows Club website, Dave came to my assistance to help me sort out a set of rules and guidelines for the site, and we had numerous long emails together which must have taken up a lot of his time, and for which I was very grateful to have had that support.

Thirdly, I believe it was Dave who organised our "famous" meeting up with Bruce Welch, when Bruce asked George to "blow up the f...ing tin shed in Wagga Wagga" where the Shads had played in the 60's.

Fourthly, Dave has always been very generous of his time and wise counsel whenever I have asked him things, and I count him as one of my most helpful and trusted pals over the last few years. Thanks Dave !!!!!!!!

Time is starting to take its toll of most of us and I'm really sad to hear that Dave is not going to be able to continue with Legend as a player any more. I bet he will be their biggest helper and supported though.

Best wishes, Dave, in whatever you choose to do in the future. We will come see visiting again in 2010 - dinner is on me next time.
tonykiek

Full Real Name: Tony Kiek

Postby David Martin » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Tony, you are very kind.

But, remember, I'm still playing, just not able to play protracted sessions of rhythm with bar chords...

I look forward to seeing you again...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby roninnes » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:22 pm

Best wishes to Hoffers and the rest of the guys in "Legend". You have always portrayed The Shadows Burns era so well it would have been sad if it were not to continue.

To David, you will always be welcome at Mid Anglia as we are looking to form a new band "The Arthritics".
Seriously having played with you at Fillongley the other week with your new guitar you still sound fine, very fine.

Regards

Ron
Ron
roninnes

Full Real Name: Ron Innes

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:47 am

Yep, LegEnd is dead, long live LegEnd.

Thanks to the old crew and good luck to the new one!

Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby hoffers » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:40 am

Hi all,

Many thanks for all the support and kind words relating to my new position in 'Legend'.
It's always been a secret ambition of mine to be a part of a recognised and well respected Shadows tribute band, but until that day comes along I'll stick with Legend (boom, boom!).

We've had three rehearsals thus far and it's going fine.
Today, for example, we got to grips with one of our favourite Shadows tunes, Tomorrow's Cancelled. The band adore this number and thankfully we've pretty much cracked it.
I've had to learn most of the numbers from scratch as I've not played the majority of Legend's material before, but it's been a nice challenge. That David Martin made it look so easy, but I can tell you that those Burns numbers take some working out.
I'm now on the look-out for a Vox AC30 so if anyone has any suggestions or one for sale please let me know.

BW

Tony Hoffman (Hoffers)
hoffers

Postby StuartD » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:53 am

Best of luck Tony. You will be fine and i'll answer your Email this week!! Promise!!

Best of luck too to David. Your playing will be missed.

Regads

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby TonyA » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:26 pm

Good and bad news I suppose.
A big thanks to David and Legend for showing us what can be done, Shadowmania and Cd's, wow what a legacy.
a great inspiration to all bands playing the music of the gods!
Congratulations on Tony filling the roll, hope the suit fits,:lol:

Regards
Tony
TonyA

Full Real Name: Tony Arrowsmith

Postby David Martin » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:13 am

Thanks for your kind comments, folks. But I'm still around, just looking for someone who wants a lead guitar player in the Hank style... or maybe Clapton, or Angus, or Moore or even just my own eclectic jumble... gotta keep on keeping on!!

(Playing bass with a rock band tonight!)
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby ernie1958 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:19 am

8-) Speaking of Shadowmania and cd's..are there any cd's available by Legend, David? :roll:
If so...where can I get one.?(or maybe two..lol :lol: )

Cheers,
Ernie
ernie1958

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows