The Shadows At The BBC - A Few Thoughts

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

The Shadows At The BBC - A Few Thoughts

Postby Arpeggio » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:39 pm

As many of you know - well over 10 years ago - I thoroughly researched the history and legacy of the Shadows at the BBC. For at least 150 hours of work I received absolutely NOTHING from either the BBC (whose own records were incomplete) or EMI. But I didn't mind. Seriously. I did it all A) because it was really interesting B) because I wanted a CD of the Shadows BBC Sessions to come out. A release (approved by Hank, Bruce, Brian and the Shadows management team was approved). At this point (much to my chagrin, having done al of the research) I should point out that I did NOT at any time receive a reference CD- R of the BBC material.

The sticking point (& why such a CD has never been released) has been the 'Bernie Andrews Tapes' (now in the possession of John Beecher at RollerCoaster Records). Because of the BBC policy - in the 1980s?? - of discarding / wiping / re - using tapes and throwing out old transcription discs - NOTHING at all by the Shadows at the BBC from 1959 - 1962 has survived. Zero.Zilch. 72 tracks - all destroyed or wiped. only 2 out of 11 tracks from 1963 survived (simply because someone failed to throw away one transcription disc which was destined for the skip!). Thus....the BBC themselves only possessed 2 tracks (out of a possible 83!!) between 1959 - 1963. Between 1964 and 1968 - the Shadows recorded 38 tracks for the BBC - 16 have survived - 22 haven't.

Thus: the BBC wanted to use some of the 'Bernie Andrews' material - at least 30 tracks in top quality sound. Yes....the BBC owned the copyright....but only Bernie (& now John Beecher) had the tapes. The BBC refused to pay him for their use / return & the whole release was blocked. The situation hasn't changed since 2002. IMHO - it would have been a massive seller - say, to coincide with the Shadows' reunion (2004) or the Cliff / Shads reunion (2009 - 10). But....no.

Again, purely IMHO. The BBC could issue all 22 of the Shadows tracks in their archive - immediately - if they so desired. It would be a great CD. Why don't they just do it??? I'd buy a copy - as would hundreds, if not thousands of Shadows fans worldwide. All (well virtually all) of John Beecher's BBC material (28 tracks at least) is currently out of copyright. In theory - John could put that out on RollerCoaster really soon. Again, what a huge seller that would be!!!! Yet....the BBC / EMI just don't seem to think that there is any commercial value in such a release!!! it's criminal. These tracks should be heard again, quite frankly, before we're (terrible thought) dead & gone!!!!

As for the CD I mentioned only the other day. I'd simply heard that a 2 - CD set (37 tracks) had come out from Belgium. All I did was to inform Shadows fans that I'd heard about it. I also mentioned who might have a few copies.....but it was only what I'd heard & may have been incorrect. I have no wish to compromise anyone. Many of the tracks (1959 - 1962) on the CD were out of copyright anyway. I have since heard (A) that the Shadows management were unhappy about the CD. (Memo to same: PLEASE PERSUADE THE BBC TO PUT OUT AN OFFICIAL RELEASE ASAP!!!). I have also heard (the nature of these things being somewhat transient) that any supplies (& I guess we are not even talking three figures here) which reached the UK have already been exhausted.

Sadly....the Shadows' wonderful BBC material seems to still be consigned to a state of perpetual limbo. Does anyone care?? It is a travesty & a very sorry state of affairs indeed.

Bests.....Rob :) :o :shock:
Arpeggio

Full Real Name: Rob Bradford

Re: The Shadows At The BBC - A Few Thoughts

Postby kipper » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:17 pm

very well put rob echoing probaly what we all think. peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Postby Jiggerz » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:25 pm

The only crime being committed, due to these loopholes in copyright, is that those who have the power to make us all happy don't want to. I would much rather my money went through the proper channels so that Hank, Bruce, Brian et al received their fair share, but what real choice do we have? Surely the rate at which these cds are selling should indicate that despite their misinformed judgements, there actually is a market there? Obviously we're not talking the same numbers of sale generated by such terrific acts as Jedward or Katie Perry, but it's not our fault we're in a minority of those who still have taste! ;)

Thank you Rob, I am grateful you mentioned a cd you had come across, and that you shared that information with us. You didn't force me to buy it, you didn't frog-march me to a specific place to buy it and as someone who is in their mid 20s (oh, ok, 40s) I would like to think I am capable of making my own decisions about what I spend my money on. IMHO you have done nothing underhand and I sincerely hope those hinting that you have spend their energy on checking the current market, listening to fans and acting upon their findings instead of picking on a right nice bloke! :x

And in answer to you last question, Yes! I care!

Jayne
Jiggerz

Postby Arpeggio » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:05 pm

Aaahh! Jayne! Thank you so much for your kind words. It means a lot. Re: aforementioned 'grey area' CD - all I did was to inform fans of its existence. Nothing more. Nothing less. Believe me, i have approached / reminded EMI about the BBC project several times since 2002. None of it has led anywhere & the BBC themselves are equally intransigent. Leaving aside the 'Bernie Andrews Tapes' (which, as I said - John Beecher could issue or 'lease' right now) - the BBC themselves have 27 tracks in fine quality sound: Dance On! / Nivram (1963), The Warlord / T R & F O F Bunt / I W I C S L M S Arthur (1965), I Met A Girl / Shindig / Lady Penelope / S.O.T.Socks (1966), Jigsaw / T Waltz / Bombay Duck / S, C & H Y Dad? / T W Roses / Lara's Theme (1967), Evening Glow / N N Nights / D O Mrs Bell (1968), Apache (1973) + The John Peel Sounds On Sunday sessions from 1974. A release which fans would gladly purchase. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to stop the BBC releasing those tracks. I just wish that they would. They blocked the 1959 - 1962 material 10 years ago.....but it's currently out of copyright. RollerCoaster?? Where are you?? Fans are desperate to hear the glorious talents of Hank, Bruce, Jet, Tony, Brian and John during the BBC era. That's all any of us want - pure and simple.

Bests....Rob
Arpeggio

Postby Jiggerz » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:52 pm

Behave yerself Peter! I have seen nothing posted by you that could cause offence. You credit me with far too much thought, especially this far into the working week, but many thanks for such a compliment! ;)

Jayne
Jiggerz

Postby Jiggerz » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:55 pm

Where did Kipper's second post go? I look like I'm making things up now and talking to myself! :shock: :?

(Maybe he deleted it himself? DavidM)
Jiggerz

Postby Fenderman » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:16 pm

It's sad that it's came to this, there are BBC recordings released by many artists who (in my mind) are lesser than the Shadows, bands such as Marmalade and The Tremeloes have had BBC recordings released properly, As good as these bands are, i doubt these CDs sold more.
It seems EMI/BBC simply do not care, they're too busy remastering old product for people to buy over and over again.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby John Boyd » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:24 pm

Has anyone asked John Beecher about his plans (if any) to release the BBC Shadows material that he owns?
I am aware that he did release a CR/Drifters 10" LP - and very good it was too.
Cheers,
JB
John Boyd

Full Real Name: John Boyd

Postby MartcasterJunior » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:29 pm

I would imagine that it wouldn't be an impossible task for someone to take it upon themselves to get this released. If I might give a more positive example of this happening: the 90s comedy series Fist Of Fun with Stewart Lee and Richard Herring, forever unreleased on any kind of domestic format from the BBC, who openly admitted to having no interest in releasing it as it was felt there wasn't the audience. Lee and Herring, having gone their separate ways several years ago and both built up an amount of gravitas on the stand-up circuit, clubbed together with an independent distributor (Go Faster Stripe) to buy the rights to the material - master tapes and all - from the BBC, and release it themselves. Fan or not, you can't deny that the final product, with over 8 hours of extra features, is worth the £25 price tag on it, and it remains a product for a niche, primarily UK-based audience.

I have no problem with the BBC not being interested in releasing this Shadows material - it's not really what they're set up to do anymore, and without someone with significant gravitas or a large chequebook coming along and requesting the rights to release a product that would still hold the BBC name, that's unlikely to happen. If a reasonably reputable small label were to approach the BBC in the right way, they might - might - just get somewhere. But these days the BBC just doesn't engage in this kind of business. Their commercial arm is interested in global sales. It's a limited company with only a small link back to the Licence Fee-funded Corporation, and niche products aren't what they cater for. The BBC's Archive initiative (to make as much available from the Archive online as possible) may fill some of that gap, but that's a slow process (there's a LOT of archive to get through).

None of that helps the fans of the music of course, but it's one of thousands of similar stories. The Fist of Fun example was on of the first (if not the first) to break that mould, so let's hope somebody enterprising out there has the foresight to put together a reasonable business plan around releasing some of these tracks. Of course, when it all comes down to it though, if the band and their management have no interest, it's not going to happen.
MartcasterJunior

Full Real Name: Matthew Verrill

Postby Arpeggio » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:38 am

Martcaster's splendid post has got me thinking again. 1) EMI currently appear to believe (completely erroneously IMHO) that there is little or no mileage in the Shadows back catalogue (in terms of 'new' releases) or Shadows product generally. Time to think afresh. The original problem with the BBC (over 10 years ago now) was the 'Bernie Andrews Tapes'. To that end I have been in contact with someone from a respected reissue company to see if there's any mileage in the BBC licensing the c.27 tracks (1963 - 1974) that DO still reside in their own archives. Watch this space, as they say.

2) The 'Bernie AndrewsTapes' are now the property of John Beecher at RollerCoaster. A more upright and decent chap (with a real passion for music) you couldn't hope to meet. As far as I'm aware there are at least 30 tracks (1959 - 1962) which could be put out. Of course - there are 4 different versions of "Apache" etc. I know that John is 100% dedicated to doing things properly (royalties etc., etc). But....here's an interesting thought. Currently (until new laws are actually on the statute books)...28 out of 30 tracks are out of copyright. Maybe it might make a difference if people (in the nicest possible way) emailed John at RollerCoaster to see if he would consider issuing all of those Shads BBC tracks. Let's face it......he would sell an awful lot of CDs and the sound quality would be superb!!

After so many setbacks down the years....maybe there is renewed hope. Who knows? Nil Desperandum.

Bests.....Rob :D
Arpeggio

Next

Return to The Shadows