ECHO BOX

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: ECHO BOX

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:20 am

Hi all. I belive the TVS units 1&2 were developed to be used with units like the ZOOM RFX-2000 and the ALESIS Q2&20 both with EFTP installed. Has any one got this setup or tried this setup? It would be interesting to hear the comparison between this setup and the TVS3 unit.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby stagetech » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:26 am

Hi Paul,
As I said, it's tongue in cheek. I would love one of those TVS3's. I think it sounds fantastic, and a great job has been done by all. I love the sound of the valve amp's, I have one. And yes they have faults with distorsion and crackle and the like. Thats fine, thats what they were like back then when people were using leftover technology from radio and World War 2. But there also needs to be a little perspective, guitarist used to be driven to distraction by these anomolies and were in constant search of better sound. That's why people like Hank have tried different pickups, and echo' machines and amps. So at times, it strikes me as amusing that so much effort goes into putting the faults back in things.

As regards the cost of production re- Taiwan, or elsewhere. If you have looked into this and cannot reduce production and material costs, I accept your word on this. But that is a real pity, and our loss.

For my own part, I have small Jet engines manufactured in Taiwan, and electronicly controled Pneumatic valves. The cost varies depending on specification but is approximately 1/2 to 2/3 cheaper than anywhere else I can find, and the quality first class.
stagetech

Postby dave robinson » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:30 am

I don't wish to get into an argument about echo boxes, but as one who has owned the TVS3 I can guarantee that it will give you THE SOUND regarding the old Shads tone, as well as the later sounds. Hank has chosen to use it in the way he prefers, which involves using a lot less echo and I respect that, even though we would all liked to hear a 'wetter' sound. His guitar tone was great as I have already commented and I'm pleased that he lost the 'fatter' sound for this tour and opted to allow the Strat to sound brighter than he has done in the past.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby stagetech » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:41 am

Hi david,
I will not disagree, just jealous because they are too expensive for me. You play in a band so the sound difference and thus cost can probably be justified, hard to justify when you just play in your living room for pleasure.

I noticed the difference in tone, and the high pitch on some notes. As I never saw the Shads live in the early days, was this a good recreation? Made my hair stand up on end, well whats left of it! loved every minute.

Ian
stagetech

Previous

Return to The Shadows