That Sound Question ?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

That Sound Question ?

Postby Gary Allen » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:30 pm

A bit before my time but.......How come nobody else ever got a parallel sound to Hank in the early years ? I presume others knew back then about his echo but you just dont hear it on records that were out at the time...Is there something else we re missing out on....?.....gary
Gary Allen

Full Real Name: Gary Allen

Re: That Sound Question ?

Postby JimN » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:34 pm

<Panto mode>

Oh yes you do...

Listen to (example off the top of the head) Moody Guy by Shane Fenton & The Fentones, for a Cliff/Shadows sound par excellence (especially on the stereo version - which does exist). And Saturday Nite At The Duck Pond by The Cougars (played on a Hofner) isn't too far removed from the Shads sound.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby dave robinson » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:16 pm

I'll add my two pennorth here and I agree with Jim, there are many recordings with THAT SOUND, it's just that these particular acts didn't stand the test of time.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Bojan » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:02 pm

Hmm, let's see: then we have: the Spotnicks from Sweden, the Jumping Jewels and ZZ en de Maskers from the Netherlands, Les Guitars, Les Phantoms (and many others) from France, The Atlantics from Oz, Teddy Robin & the Playboys from Hong Kong . . . just to mention a few! I'm sure you've heard songs like Johnny Guitar, La Comparsa, Bombora, Galaxie, The Sands of Time . . . All of them have their own kind of "THAT SOUND" but as Dave said, many of them did not stand the test of time -- but some did.

Listen to this fabulous sound drenched with echo, reverb, and nostalgia:
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby AlanMcKillop » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:43 pm

...... and don't forget Ernie Shear's riffs on Move It, played on a Hofner and pre Hank, so maybe Hank was copying Ernie. :D
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby Paul Creasey » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:43 pm

Hi Bojan,
I'd not heard of Teddy Robin and the Playboys before - but what a LOVELY "That Sound", eh? Thanks for posting it here!
I particularly like your description of the Bands you have named as "All have their own kind of "That Sound"".
I tend to get a bit grumpy about those who try to describe "That Sound" in definitive terms, but I'm happy to live with that!
Regards
Paul.
Paul Creasey

Postby John » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:49 pm

I guess that sound was all ready associated with the shads so why would any artist/group want to sound the same. I guess if some one else beat Hank to it Hank would sound very different today

Cheers John
John

Postby neil2726 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:00 pm

I think its still down to Hank's smooth flowing style and better use of the trem arm!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby JimN » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:10 pm

Subscribed to Spotify?

Try this (short) playlist for a pretty good Cliff/Shadows sound (recorded at EMI) and one instrumental by The Cougars (recorded at EMI under the executive supervision of Norrie Paramor)

http://tinyurl.com/yfb9xyj

See what you think.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby cockroach » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:41 am

Also, before Hank, have a listen to some mid -period Gene Vincent tracks when Johnny Meeks was on lead (after Cliff Gallup left the group)- a good example is "Baby Blue"- lots of thin echoey screaming Strat and vibrato arm workout in the solo..)

And as I have said before- Cliff Gallup's playing on Gene's slow ballads also preceded Hank and had a very similar tape echo and vibrato arm sound and approach...listen to Up a Lazy River, Jezebel, That Old Gang of Mine- all on the 1956/7 10 inch LP Bluejean Bop.

And don't forget James Burton on Ricky Nelson's tunes- the solo on Believe What You Say must have been studied by Hank....
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Return to The Shadows