Cardiff IA - The Best Yet??

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Cardiff IA - The Best Yet??

Postby Arpeggio » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:10 pm

Wow! Saw Geffers at the show last night - so it would be interesting to hear his views. What a fantastic show - absolutely superb. I saw the show at the O2 Arena in late September (which was fantastic) but last night at Cardiff was something else - in a different league altogether. As fantastic as Cliff / Shads were three weeks ago - last night they were even better. Cliff was on tremendous form vocally and Hank, Bruce, Warren, Mark and Keith Hayman were simply awesome. The sound was wonderful too. Cliff was full of energy. I was right on the front row for this show and it becomes even more apparent what a consummate performer Cliff is and just how much effort and energy he puts in. Simply top class throughout. Mark and Keith do their respective jobs to perfection. They are outstanding players and 'spot on' throughout. And as for Warren 'Mr Multi - Instrumentalist' Bennett - superb. He was constantly switching between keyboards, guitar, snare drum, guiro, accordion, percussion...and, of course, ship's bell!! Brian was a powerhouse driving force throughout the entire evening - what a truly great drummer he is (and where does he get the energy / stamina from??). As for Hank and Bruce....I've run out of superlatives. Two master musicians at the absolute top of their form. Hank's R'n'R solos.....brilliant, simply brilliant. Of course (as has been noted on previous Concert nights) The Shads own little mini - set was sheer bliss. Instrumentals in excelsis. Sublime and uplifiting. I've already mentioned that Cliff's singing was tremendous, outstanding even. Moreover so were Bruce, Hank, Warren, Keith and Mark. At many points during the evening there were some incredible 4 and 5 part harmonies. Really - it was just (stage time) 160 minutes of perfection. All of the scripted routines were still there - but there was a lot of spontaneous comment, reaction and badinage too. If the show is anywhere near as good as this at Wembley then you are all in for a double treat. Exhilarating and uplifting. To Cliff & The Shadows - Bravo!!

Rob :D
Arpeggio

Re: Cardiff IA - The Best Yet??

Postby Geffers » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:32 pm

Hi Rob

I think you have said it all there - great pics btw.
It was a superb concert - so enjoyable with a great atmosphere and great sound - Just perfection.
I believe the smaller arena helped - I went to the NIA and near the back watched the video screen a lot - Here I guess we felt more involved.
The harmonies with Cliff were fantastic somtimes with Warren and Keith Hayman adding to Hank and Bruce vocals. The sheer enjoyment and energy that came from the stage was plain to see. What a final tour!!
Can't wait for the DVD.

Must have sold out of Polo Shirts at previous shows - ( high demand)? so hopefully get one on line.

Thanks guys what a special night!
geffers
Geffers
Geffers

Full Real Name: Geoff Bearpark

Postby siesta beach » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:20 pm

I was there, in the 7th row - fantastic - it was great that nearly everybody remained seated until the encore. I told a 22 year old girl in work I was going to see Cliff and the Shadows, and she replied, 'who are the Shadows?' I said 'The Shadows, with Hank Marvin.' She said 'oh Hank Marvin is a bloke is he? I thought Hank Marvin was just an expression for when you were hungry. And she was not joking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Makes you think eh?
Lance
siesta beach

Postby gogarrio » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

"Instrumentals in excelsis."

Well, Rob, that's exactly how I felt. Best choice of words, sir.
gogarrio

Postby Squier Ken » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:04 pm

I too was at the Cardiff concert on Tuesday (Wales now being my 'adopted' country). Absolutely brilliant! I went mainly to see The Shadows, my wife mainly to see Cliff, but we both thought the entire show was outstanding. Didn't get to see you, Rob, but I did have a chat with Geffers. Hadn't seen him since I last played at the South Coast Club! We've just started a new club here in West Wales - second meeting on 7 November.

Ken
Squier Ken

Postby cshore58 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:17 pm

I got to say the Tuesday night concert was fantastic
thanks
Colin
cshore58

Full Real Name: Colin Shore

Return to The Shadows