RIP Bert Weedon

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

RIP Bert Weedon

Postby Arpeggio » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:18 am

A true legend has passed away at the age of 91. Just listening to my local radio station (Berkshire) when the announcer mentioned (20 minutes ago) that Bert Weedon had died. Obviously not feted in the usual pantheon of 'Rock Axe Gods' - Bert always looked (physically) staid and middle - aged even when he had hits with "Guitar Booogie Shuffle" etc over 50 years ago. But.....he WAS a master guitarist capable of playing with great skill in a wide variety of styles. He really did inspire a generation of players, including Hank and Bruce to name but two! They wrote "Mr Guitar" in his honour. Bert could play in a driving style - I love tracks of his like "Sorry Robbie", "Ginchy", "Black Jackets" and "Ghost Train" - but he seldom did. With all due respect, his interpretation / arrangement of "Apache" (his original version not the 1976 re - cut which was much better) was dire. But.....thank goodness it was.....because it drove Jerry Lordan to offer it to the Shadows!! I hope that this info is correct. I'm not hallucinating......but there was nothing on the main news bulletin (6 minutes after the announcer/presenter mentioned it) and there's nothing on Bert's own website.

Rob :(

RIP Bert
Arpeggio

Re: RIP Bert Weedon

Postby Iain Purdon » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:23 am

It is true, Rob. I'm on news duty and we are writing it up right now.

This is PA's version

GUITAR VETERAN BERT WEEDON DIES
By Robert Dex, Press Association Showbusiness Correspondent
Guitarist Bert Weedon, who played with stars including Frank Sinatra and inspired millions to pick up the instrument with his Play In A Day books, has died at the age of 91.
The musician had "been poorly" for a while and died at home in Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire, this morning, his friend John Adrian said today.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby keithmantle » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:30 am

RIP Bert, Where would we be without 'Play in a Day'
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Postby Arpeggio » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:31 am

I was unaware of Iain's post. I delayed mine by a few minutes until I could find further verification. Sadly it is true. I shall have to play a few of my Bert Weedon favourites in his honour. A true gentleman in every sense of the word. He was also a favourite on Children's TV over 50 years ago. Ah....Muriel Young, Fred Barker, Ollie Beak, Pussycat Willum...and the rest. Plus...."Play In A Day" really has sold in excess of 1,000,000 copies. Although Bert was never really fashionable...his influence was immense. Before Hank, he was Britain's first (if somewhat unlikely) guitar hero and "Guitar Boogie Shuffle" was the UK's first guitar instrumental hit proper. Bert played on thousands of sessions and was ubiquitous on BBC radio in the 1950s and 1960s. God bless you Bert.

Rob :(
Arpeggio

Postby David Martin » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:44 am

Good innings... Thanks for everything Bert...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby tommybird » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:44 am

RIP Very sad
Tommy
tommybird

Full Real Name: tommy bird

Postby Iain Purdon » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:45 am

It'll be the lead story on Radio 2 at 1000 unless something else blows up in the meantime
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby marvwelch » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:48 am

A sad sad day for all . The master legend . So many happy memories . Thanks Bert .Heaven will be rockin now .
marvwelch

Postby JimN » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:57 am

You won't find a better memory of Bert Weedon than this...

RIP Bert.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Martin Page » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:07 am

I owe it all to Bert - Play in a Day - not quite, but it was a start...

R.I.P. Bert.

Martin.
Martin Page

Next

Return to The Shadows