Playing in a Garage (acoustics & some old cars)

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Playing in a Garage (acoustics & some old cars)

Postby Dranna » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:57 am

We did practice three weeks ago at Andy’s studio with the new acoustic panels. It was just our basic four, with live drums and our rhythm guitarist plugged into the PA system. I used my sunburst Precision Bass, a 5oth Anniversary model, hence somewhat modern, playing through an all-tube Ampeg head and a 15”-speaker cabinet.

It was surprising, but this time around I could hear each instrument clearly. I realize now, having heard that clarity, that that wasn’t the case before. The sound is now very balanced, and no one instrument was overpowering the others. I could hear my bass lines clearly, and adjustments to the tone controls were quite apparent. Before, my bass sound was all over the room, difficult sometimes to distinguish from the other sounds, and diffused. At the last session, you could clearly tell where the bass was coming from.

I thought the studio was fine before, but only realize now how much better it could be. I am eager to try the new Fender TV Bassman amp!

Regards to all,

Anna
Dranna

Done for now, I hope,

Postby abstamaria » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:19 am

My friend with the acoustic-treatment business made me four free-standing bass traps. Two are seen behind the drum kit, and one to the left, by the couch. These complete the acoustic treatment of my old garage, at least for now. The traps, as well as the rest of the acoustic treatment, cost a fraction of the prices I saw for similar items abroad. And a crew came over to install them as well. The cost would have been prohibitive in the US and, I am guessing, the UK.

I was afraid that I might have over-damped the space, killing the brightness and sparkle, but that doesn’t seem to have happened. There are still many reflective surfaces left in the room. What has happened is that each sound now comes through the mix much more clearly. And the standing wave seems to have been addressed. We had a very energetic (loud – he can’t help it) drummer yesterday, but was still quite good. It certainly has been a great improvement.

Here is photo I took today. I’m quite happy with the way it turned out. I wish I could play as well as the place looks. (The blurred black blob at the far end is my dog Sundance.)

Cheers,

Andy

abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby Didier » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:50 am

Hi Andy,

Now you have a well above average home studio !
BTW, the couch is also good for acoustics...

Didier
P.S. Looks like it's also used for home theater.
Last edited by Didier on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby ecca » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:07 am

That looks just like my old garage does !
ecca

Postby abstamaria » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:25 pm

Thanks, Didier, Eric.

I'm quite lucky to have that space, which looks good in that picture, I think. However, I used a panoramic format and do like to take photos, so the studio looks bigger and better in that picture than in real life. The acoustic panels add greatly to the appearance, but without them it is just a plain white box.

Yes, I installed a projector and those speakers some time ago, so we would push the car out before, move couches around, and watch "Summer Holiday" with my old friends, all over 60 now (except our bass guitarist Anna). By the way, I watched a James Bond movie the other week in the studio, and was quite surprised that the separation and imaging of the surround-sound theater system, including the subwoofer, improved so dramatically. I didn't expect that.

Andy
abstamaria

Postby Didier » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:58 pm

abstamaria wrote:Yes, I installed a projector and those speakers some time ago, so we would push the car out before, move couches around, and watch "Summer Holiday" with my old friends, all over 60 now (except our bass guitarist Anna). By the way, I watched a James Bond movie the other week in the studio, and was quite surprised that the separation and imaging of the surround-sound theater system, including the subwoofer, improved so dramatically. I didn't expect that.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Nothing suprising with that, the acoustic treatment could only also improve the sound from the home-theater surround system !

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Finally, all done.

Postby abstamaria » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:21 pm

So, finally, here is what became of the old workshop. The tool cabinets gave way to filing cabinets, acoustic panels, and guitar amplifiers. I explain to the occasional guest that some friends my age come over to try to play The Ventures and The Shadows, guitar bands that arose after rock-and-roll and then were swept away by the Beatles and rest of the British Invasion. If you were born three years too late, of if you blinked, you would have missed them. Still, we try, with guitars, echoes, and amps we couldn’t afford when we were 14, to capture that old sound, the nuances of which only we remember.

The walls look blue, because I took the photo at dusk, just today.

Andy
Attachments
Studio 2012.08.JPG
(164.41 KiB) Downloaded 2712 times
abstamaria

Projects

Postby abstamaria » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:41 pm

The Vox AC15 speaker sounded best and cleanest in my garage/studio when elevated, so I placed the cabinet on this shelf. The problem was where to place the head. Alongside the cabinet, the head took up space on the shelf. On the cabinet, the head was inconvenient to use, and there was risk of someone tripping on the guitar cable and pulling it off.
The head fit on the bottom shelf, but then I couldn’t see the controls.

DSC00262.JPG
(275.53 KiB) Downloaded 2615 times

I had a free day today and, with spare shelving and heavy-duty drawer slides, made the pull-out shelves shown here. They seem to work nicely.

DSC00261.JPG
(269.91 KiB) Downloaded 2615 times
abstamaria

Postby rogera » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:22 pm

A very good solution. You have a terrific studio there.
rogera

Full Real Name: Roger Allcock

Postby abstamaria » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:32 am

Thank you, Roger. It's a simple job, but an enjoyable one. The dimensions are not ideal, but I know I am quite lucky to have the studio. The band and friends enjoy it.

Best regards,

Andy
abstamaria

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows