Phil Kelly & Shadowmania

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Phil Kelly & Shadowmania

Postby Martin Page » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:57 am

dave robinson wrote:
Martin Page wrote:Just for the record there have been 12 Shadowmanias up to 2011: 1998 to 2011 with no SM in 2004 & 2009.

Martin.

Really ? As far as Phil is concerned there are thirteen, they did one over in Canada. :roll:

They did three in Canada: 2001, 2003 & 2006 - I attended the 2003 event. Phil definitely played the 2003 & 2006 events - can anyone confirm whether Phil played in 2001 - I'm pretty sure he did.

Regards, Martin.
Martin Page

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:12 pm

To answer the horse's head question (!)

Some silly things were said on former versions of this site which caused a lot of upset and offence. In some cases to other members, at other times to individual Shadows themselves.

There is nothing wrong with posting negative comments, this is an open forum, free speech and all that. We have the right to say what we like. But with that right goes the responsibility of considering the effect our postings may have on other readers. OK, the site is moderated, but in a very light-touch way, we can't be everywhere and we can't always make the right call.

Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby dave robinson » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:33 pm

Martin Page wrote:
dave robinson wrote:
Martin Page wrote:Just for the record there have been 12 Shadowmanias up to 2011: 1998 to 2011 with no SM in 2004 & 2009.

Martin.

Really ? As far as Phil is concerned there are thirteen, they did one over in Canada. :roll:

They did three in Canada: 2001, 2003 & 2006 - I attended the 2003 event. Phil definitely played the 2003 & 2006 events - can anyone confirm whether Phil played in 2001 - I'm pretty sure he did.

Regards, Martin.

That's cool, I stand corrected, i thought Phil only did the one over in Canada. :oops:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby neil2726 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:23 pm

I guess despite all the speculation we will have to await the "official" announcement! :)
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby dave robinson » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:32 pm

neil2726 wrote:I guess despite all the speculation we will have to await the "official" announcement! :)

What a good idea ! :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Nels » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:45 pm

Hi, I was at all three Shadowmania's in Toronto. Bruce alone came in 2001. He played with the Reflections I beleive. The next one he came with Phil and the final one (2006) he had everyone with him except his drummer.

Cheers

Nels
Nels

Postby dave robinson » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:52 pm

Nels wrote:Hi, I was at all three Shadowmania's in Toronto. Bruce alone came in 2001. He played with the Reflections I beleive. The next one he came with Phil and the final one (2006) he had everyone with him except his drummer.

Cheers

Nels

Thanks Nels. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby howarddobson » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:07 pm

This is my first post on Shadow Music - hello to everyone :) - despite having been a Shadows fan for six years or so. I was a late starter - but thankfully got to see them on the 50th Reunion Tour and shake hands with them at HMV Oxford Street, plus I was at Shadowmania in 2010 and 2011.

I wanted to post having read the previous posts regarding popular lead guitarist Phil Kelly. The thing is, I can't imagine many sectors where someone would be allowed to work if they were ill. 'Employers' have difficult decisions to make sometimes - but it could be seen as irresponsible to allow someone to work when ill, regardless of how much that person wants to work. There are insurance considerations too I'm sure. So, in our world of heightened health and safety awareness, I can understand any decision to play it extremely safe.

There are practical considersations too. Given 1,000 or so people will be journeying to see this last Shadowmania, the headline band needs a full set of musicians without the risk of someone pulling out last minute.

Perhaps though given the weight of demand to see Phil Kelly one last time, he could guest with one of the other bands for a few tunes in the same way Jet Harris and Licorice Locking have done in the past. That way he appears but can pull out too if he's not feeling well on the day.

One other thing - surely Shadowmania could continue with a different name with a whole host of tribute bands and perhaps the occasional appearance from the key members. Don't you think?
howarddobson

Full Real Name: Howard Dobson

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:14 pm

Thanks Howard. All good thoughts.

Welcome to the site

Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby kipper » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:31 pm

now there`s a thought perhaps phil could consider taking over in a different format or whatever he does have the pedigree and skill. only a thought. peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows