Phil Kelly & Shadowmania

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Phil Kelly & Shadowmania

Postby dave robinson » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:31 am

As many of us were shocked to hear that Phil wouldn't be performing with Bruce at the final Shadowmania after thirteen previous appearances, I felt that it only right to contact Phil and get the full story on behalf of the members of this site, many of whom buy the tickets for this event.

Here is Phil's email to me on Thursday last - read on . . . . . and tell us what you think.

Hi Dave,

I am truly gutted to not be a part of what is deemed to be the last shadowmania, a couple of months ago i would have put my hands up and stepped down myself because.i could not have coped with it, i have a large piturity tumour that has apparently been growing for about 6 years and that needs to be removed from under my brain ,which hopefully is benign, most of them are, but they reap havoc throughout your body with your whole hormonal system, so you cannot concentrate, you suffer memory loss, ( look at me on some previous shadowmanias ) i would just go completely blank, it effects your mood and attitude, my thyroid has hardly been working hence the weight gain , you name it , the list goes on and on, the sad fact is i am responding well to the medication i am being given to replace in my body what the tumour has prevented me having hormonally speaking, and i am getting better every day , my eyesight is not so good at times and glasses only help to a certain degree as the tumour exerts different pressure on my optic nerves from day to day, but i could have done the gig, i was stunned to be blew out with 6 weeks still to go, so not given a chance really, at the worst i would have maybe needed my glasses on from time to time if i went blurred on stage, but i think the audience would have excepted this rather than me not be there at all..
I am truly grateful for all the messages of support, truly amazed, people have been really kind.
I felt people should know what had transpired with regards to the show as nobody else had been vocal..
Anyhow, i will just have to get over it, thankyou again for your message ,i mean everthing i say, it was really appreciated,
best regards Dave,
Phil.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Re: Phil Kelly & Shadowmania

Postby Hank2k » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:47 am

Shocked at that, not really sure what to say other than again to wish Phil all the best
Hank2k

Postby keithmantle » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:07 pm

Absolutley amazed that just when Phil needed the help and support he needed and deserved he was 'shown the door'. This will leave a bad taste for everyone attending Shadowmania. Is there no chance that the decision could re-thought. Good luck for the future Phil
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Postby bassboogie » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:18 pm

Thanks for that Dave, if anything it will clarify matters and stop the speculation.
I have to say that Phil's email to you says a lot about Phil and his sheer dedication to those of us who love the Shads and all they have achieved.
My personal view is that if Phil is willing to play then we all want to see him.
Phil has never given anything less than 110%, it cannot be easy playing lead with Bruce and the lads in front of 1000 guitarists who analyse every note and the sound produced. Phil has done this with distinction for many years, and we are all extremely grateful for it.

I can only add to all the good wishes we pass on to Phil, for a full recovery, and restate how much we appreciate what he has done for us and the legacy of the Shads.

Regards, Luigi
Last edited by bassboogie on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bassboogie

Full Real Name: Luigi Ciapparelli

Postby kipper » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:24 pm

perhaps phil was not given the gig was for his own health, maybe bruce of whoever felt they were doing the right thing by not giving phil the gig based on concern for phils health. maybe phil would have been taking a risk with his health just because the show must go on. a bit like a footballer wants to play in a cup final and is willing to risk all for that honor, but the manager says no your long term heath is more important.
i cant belive that bruce would go out of his way to hurt phils feelings over this, there must be genuine reasons for it. i have always seen bruce as a gentleman. surly bruce contated phil and gave a reason??
what ever happens phil i wish you all the best with your health mate your a great guitarist and missing this gig wont change that. peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:46 pm

Well I do wish Phil well and hope treatment goes very well for him. He has been a top HBM tribute player, as most of us will know and it is sad to see him being left out this year. I do however see the 'professional' reasons behind the choices made by Bruce and Co and I feel sure they have the best of intentions in their hearts for him. Get well Phil and try not to dwell on it and the reasons too much and perhaps go to Shadowmania in a way you have not done before .... as a spectator. The man who fills your boots will I am sure will have to be a good choice !

I sense maybe HBM himself may grace the proceedings, just a feeling ! I will not be going though but have enjoyed every visit there and the music was top.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby kittycph » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:33 pm

Thank you for passing Phil's message on.
I hope Phil will recover completely.
All the best
Kitty
kittycph

Postby s4wgb » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:18 pm

Very sorry to hear that statement.
Have known Phil for over 20 years and i was truly shocked to find this out.
Get well soon Phil.
Very best wishes.
Stuart
s4wgb

Postby Amanda » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:56 pm

Hi Phil,

Like everyone else I was shocked to read the statement.

It would have been great seeing you up there for the final time.

Just get on with getting better Phil, and I hope any treatment goes well and you are soon back
to your old self!!

(Added) Phil, my sister and her daughter have thyroid problems and it's amazing how effective the
drugs can be in sorting it...

My best wishes also to your family, it's not easy dealing with illness in the family..

As for HBM - doubtful I would think.

Amanda
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby ecca » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:18 pm

If Hank shows up then Al Bakewell can eat my boots !
ecca

Next

Return to The Shadows