A Shadow of My Former Self

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: A Shadow of My Former Self

Postby d jones » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:09 pm

Keep up the Excellent work Malcolm it's nice to see you credit the likes of John Farrar one of the music world's most under estimated musician's, you only need to listen to rockin with curly leads and specs appeal to see what depth John brought to the shadows with the extra guitar and vocal work!

Dave
d jones

Re: A Shadow of My Former Self

Postby Shad1 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:28 am

Dave I totally agree with you. In guitarist terms he has wonderful sensitivity and a sound and choice of notes that often grabs the groin in a 'take that' manner. I recall Bruce saying that when he joined the band he and Hank clearly had a bit of competition in terms of skilled songwriting which was extremely productive given the quality of the output - MWF1 and 2 and Specs Appeal. His presence added a new and very welcome dimension to the Shadows' both with his guitar playing and singing. After he left to pastures new you can hear his 'presence' in loads of material, for example soaring harmonies in Cliffs 'Heathcliff' (which he wrote the music for), ONJ's albums and of course 'Grease'.
He always came across to me as a musician of real substance but someone who was essentially pretty shy. He let his guitar and voice and compositions do the talking. Wonderful.

Malc.
Shad1

Full Real Name: Malcolm C McEwan

Previous

Return to The Shadows