Sixties City

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Sixties City

Postby MikeAB » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:45 pm

I was at the concert last friday at Wembley and it suddenly struck me during it that this was the very place I first managed to see the boys - in 1964 at the NME Pollwinners' Concert. How time flies when you're having fun!

That set me to trying to find the complete list of artists that performed that day and I came across this fascinating site. At first glance the Foot Tapper chart history looks wrong though! Worth a look if you haven't seen it before.

http://www.sixtiescity.com/PopTV/PopTV6064.shtm

Mike
MikeAB

Full Real Name: Mike Barnes

Re: Sixties City

Postby JimN » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:28 pm

Hi, Mike,

That concert, recorded for ABC Television's programme Big Beat '64, still exists in the Canal + archive and at the BFI.

BIG BEAT '64
( ABC Television ) May 1964

Director: Mark Stuart

This NME poll-winners concert was televised from the Empire Pool, Wembley, and introduced by David Jacobs and Jimmy Savile. It featured performances from The Beatles, Joe Brown and The Bruvvers, The Dave Clark Five, Freddie and The Dreamers, Gerry and The Pacemakers, The Hollies, Big Dee Irwin, Kathy Kirby, Billy J.Kramer and The Dakotas, Joe Loss, Manfred Mann, The Merseybeats, Brian Poole and The Tremeloes, Cliff Richard, The Shadows, The Rolling Stones and The Swinging Blue Jeans.

They missed out Jet Harris & The Innocents, who played Diamonds and Big Bad Bass (as seen on the recent Jet Harris DVD).

Best wishes,

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Mikey » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:46 pm

What a fabulous website! I'd forgotten half of those music programmes. Oh to be able to turn the clock back - and for more than just the hour :)
Mikey

Postby cockroach » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:28 am

I have a black & white video tape copy of the 1964 and 1965 NME concerts- but Cliff and the Shadows appearances are NOT included, although the 1964 show does have Jet's two tunes.

Jet looks as if he's struggling with his Jaguar with very heavy strings! You can hear his famous comment during the brief stop just before Diamonds ends..."Thank Christ that's over..!"
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Return to The Shadows