Senior Moment Or What-----HELP ! ! !

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Senior Moment Or What-----HELP ! ! !

Postby bassgod » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:08 pm

Its what I call a CRAFT moment

C ant
R emember
A
F ...ing
T hing

Who am I :cry:
bassgod

Postby Martin Page » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:09 pm

Amanda wrote:Martin,

It could be worse they may have settled on Block instead! :lol:

Amanda

lol
Martin Page

Postby Mikey » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:26 pm

Maybe we should try playing Nat King Cole's "Unforgetable" :lol:
Mikey

Postby John » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:01 am

But at what age do you qualify to to have a "SENIOR" moment? at our last band practice I too just could not remember the middle bit of dance on! a tune I can normally play with my eyes shut but after three attempts we gave up and moved on to something else, I am only 40 so where does that put the non seniors? and even younger players?

cheers John
John

Postby Bluesnote » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:23 am

I find that I tend to go into automatic pilot after playing Shads stuff. Most of the tunes tend to be pretty simple to learn and play so after you have learned it, there's not much to hold your interest so you go into dream world(well I do)then all of a sudden a bit comes up that really needs your attention and the brain cant find it quick enough :o then you go to pieces.
If you compare it with say playing a blues or a jazz tune, your attention is there all the time because you are constructing the music as you go, that and its different every time you play it, so you really have to keep on top of things or you lose the plot.
Thats my excuse anyway whilst waiting for God :lol:
Bluesnote

Postby Martin Page » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:46 am

I've recently learnt Mozart Forte - easily the hardest Shads' tune I've learnt so far. Apart from the various fingerboard gymnastics it's sometimes difficult to remember what comes where. The thought of playing it live at the moment fills me with horror...

Martin.
Martin Page

Postby Martyn » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:57 am

Well at 60 and 363/365ths, I really don't have too many problems with ... er, with ... um - sorry what was the question? :oops:
Martyn

Full Real Name: Martyn Welch

Postby ecca » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:01 pm

If you make a mistake then repeat it.
It's then called improvisation.
ecca

Postby Paulps » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:30 pm

MeBHank wrote:
Paulps wrote:Those of you who were at Derby last month, may have noticed a strange silence or two in the Frightened City where there should be a little Bass riff. I can't blame alcohol (I was drinking Lemonade) or say it was too late at night (it was mid-afternoon) it can't be my age (I'm only 62) so my only excuse is; er, I've forgotten,. Oh yes. I didn't rehearse it cos I wasn't supposed to be playing that song! :oops: :roll:

Are you sure it wasn't distraction and/or horror due to the shock of realising you were in Derby? :shock: ;)

J

No. I like going to Derby (apart from the roadworks) and if they let me in after my c--k-up last time, will be back on Nov 14th, to entertain with even more c--k-ups (or should that be c--ks-up?) :?:
Paulps

Postby MeBHank » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:56 pm

John wrote:But at what age do you qualify to to have a "SENIOR" moment? at our last band practice I too just could not remember the middle bit of dance on! a tune I can normally play with my eyes shut but after three attempts we gave up and moved on to something else, I am only 40 so where does that put the non seniors? and even younger players?

cheers John

This happens to me, but only usually when I have to play two or more similar shapes in quick succession. Something as simple as the opening for Cosy stumps me occasionally unless I've really rehearsed it properly (as was painfully demonstrated at the SWSC three months ago!).

Paul, I think you mean "c--k-ups". I believe Mr Nugent would concur. :D

J
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows