Advice please - which tuner?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Advice please - which tuner?

Postby Tone » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:08 pm

I'm looking for suggestions for an electronic tuner to carry around in my guitar case. I'm getting a bit fed up of the cheapo one I have at the moment because the red and green lights flicker around all over the place and I'm never sure whether the string is in tune or not.

So what I need is something small and light, easily readable display, inexpensive and, most important, stable and accurate. I'm not bothered about fancy frills such as a metronome or the ability to tune an entire orchestra to umpteen alternative tunings. I'm also not keen on the type that clips onto the guitar.

There are literally hundreds of tuners on the market but how do I know which one will give the accuracy and stability? So, can someone give me a recommendation from their own experience can for a tuner which meets the above criteria? I tried OLDEREK's Fender ST-100 last night and that seemed to fit the bill but my search for one today indicates it has been discontinued.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Tony
Tone

Full Real Name: Tony Ramsden

Re: Advice please - which tuner?

Postby alanbakewell » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:06 pm

I have a Boss TU2 in my case. Very accurate. Very reliable. Not very cheap. I've had this for eight or more years now.

Others may disagree, however, why spend a great deal of money on a nice guitar / effects unit / amplifier and cut costs with a tuner? It's as important as any of the aforementioned items, ( in my opinion ). And that's what you asked for. :D

Cheers, Alan.

p.s. nearly forgot I also have a rack tuner. Looks nice with flashing lights, not as accurate as the TU2.
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Postby Garystrat » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:43 pm

Hi Tony

Have you seen the little Korg GB-1, I keep one in my guitar case, it plugs directly into the guitar jack.

http://www.korg.co.uk/products/tuners/p ... /tu_pj.asp

Maybe not the most sophisticated tuner, but simple and works well.

Gary
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby roger bayliss » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:02 am

I've had a Boss TU15 Chromatic tuner for sometime now... all singing and dancing they are... even helps out with intonation setup as well as various types of tuning such as drop D etc... heres the info

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/TU-15/
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby RUSSET » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:27 am

I've always used a small cheap Korg plug in tuner, which works OK, but does flicker around a bit. Then a couple of years ago I found the INTELLI IMT 500 clip-on tuner which is only 1.75" square & clips on to your headstock, & senses the vibration so doesn't even need to be plugged into your circuit. The screen is very clear & bright & it displays the notes steadily without all that wavering around. It cost me about £20 two years ago, but I believe they have now come down in price since there is more competition in the market. And, you can leave it clipped on all gig/rehearsal, if you want. The battery is working fine after all this time.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby shindig » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:02 am

Hi,
when it comes to tuners, you don't get anything better than these: http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm ... =92&sub=72. Unfortunately they are not cheap at all, but you get a tuner for a life time. I very often adjust my guitars, which is important, when you try out other strings etc., and here you have the immensely precise tool for intonation as well.
Shindig
shindig

Postby keithmantle » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:30 pm

Hi Tony, the Boss TU 2 is the industry standard (so guitar mag said) regards keith, I use one !!
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Postby Tone » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:36 am

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Quite a variety, too!

Cheers.

Tony
Tone

Full Real Name: Tony Ramsden

Postby John » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:12 am

My guitar was tuned at the shop when I bought it, earlier this year, surely if they did it properly that should save having to go to the expence of buying a tuner! :P
John

Postby Garystrat » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:36 pm

Hi John

Errr....... Noo......

Caught me a treat!

Gary
Last edited by Garystrat on Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Next

Return to The Shadows