Jet Black - which guitar?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Jet Black - which guitar?

Postby donna plasky » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:45 pm

I found these on Yahoo...looks to be from the same day, or at least a similar time frame. Hank and Bruce were only 17 years old, Cliff was 18, and Jet was almost 20. Wow, only 17.

Kind regards,
Donna

FramusAntoria.jpg
FramusAntoria.jpg (6.83 KiB) Viewed 4190 times

JetHankBruce.gif
(132.95 KiB) Downloaded 2333 times
donna plasky

Full Real Name: Donna Plasky

Postby UlrichS » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:51 pm

donna plasky wrote:I found these on Yahoo...looks to be from the same day, or at least a similar time frame. Hank and Bruce were only 17 years old, Cliff was 18, and Jet was almost 20. Wow, only 17.

Kind regards,
Donna

Hi Donna,
The first photo originates from 1958 (somewhere between mid of October and end of the year) as Jet is on bass but Terry Smart still on drums.
The second photo is from early 1959 now with Tony Meehan on drums.

Best wishes,
Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby Didier » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:42 am

UlrichS wrote:
donna plasky wrote:I found these on Yahoo...looks to be from the same day, or at least a similar time frame. Hank and Bruce were only 17 years old, Cliff was 18, and Jet was almost 20. Wow, only 17.

Kind regards,
Donna

Hi Donna,
The first photo originates from 1958 (somewhere between mid of October and end of the year) as Jet is on bass but Terry Smart still on drums.
The second photo is from early 1959 now with Tony Meehan on drums.

Best wishes,
Ulrich

The second photo is from february 1959 during the recording of Cliff's first album at Abbey Road Studio 2 with an invited audience. The Drifters played both Driftin' and Jet Black, and also sang Be Bop A Lula, so Cliff could rest his voice (he had laryngitis).

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby Gatwick1946 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:50 pm

Hi All

I have an Antoria LG60, which is very much like the LG50. The bridge is a solid metal bar, with no adjustment for intonation/string length, other than trial and error! With there being no truss rod either, it is a wonder that Hank managed to tune his guitar and get it to remain in tune!

Kindest regards

Chris
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Postby JimN » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:42 pm

Gatwick1946 wrote:I have an Antoria LG60, which is very much like the LG50. The bridge is a solid metal bar, with no adjustment for intonation/string length, other than trial and error!

Not the great problem it might sound. All the greatest Gretsch models (including Hank's own 6122) had a plain bar bridge, though adjustable for height and curved to conform to the fretboard camber...
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Paul Childs » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:24 am

I've seen smaller headstocks on 12 strings.
Paul Childs

Postby abstamaria » Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:35 pm

Our bass guitarist finally retrieved his Guyatone (as Antorias were branded here in the tropics) from storage, where it’s been since the early 1960s. I’m curious how Jet Black will sound on it.

The strings on it are the original set, as installed on the guitar when it was bought new. They were never changed. The surprise is that they are flat wound.

Would Hank already have had the Meazzi then? And was he already using a Vox amp?

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby JimN » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:37 pm

abstamaria wrote:Our bass guitarist finally retrieved his Guyatone (as Antorias were branded here in the tropics) from storage, where it’s been since the early 1960s. I’m curious how Jet Black will sound on it.
The strings on it are the original set, as installed on the guitar when it was bought new. They were never changed. The surprise is that they are flat wound.
Would Hank already have had the Meazzi then? And was he already using a Vox amp?
Andy

No, the Meazzi was not in use and neither were Vox amplifiers. Hank was using a Selmer Stadium and Bruce a Selmer Auditorium. Both were 15 watt combo units, the only difference being that the Stadium had a tremolo circuit built in.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Previous

Return to The Shadows