£25.000 to spare!

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: £25.000 to spare!

Postby bor64 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:23 pm

Mark Pressling modifications to the Sperzel machine heads?
Update needed please :?:
As Manuel said QUI? :mrgreen:
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby ScouserJoe » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:12 pm

OLDEREK wrote:Well regardless of what's been written on this thread, the seller could not get better free advertising anywhere.................. :D :D :D

Hi Derek,

Oh, I don't know ... some say any advertising is good advertising, but I think what has come out of this thread is doubt about the seller's integrity and the provenance of the item (was it, or was it not one of Hank's working guitars). It's one thing having doubts about a product on E-Bay for which you might fork out a few quid to a dodgy seller, but it's another when £25,000 (or more) might be involved. On reflection perhaps I should not have confronted him directly but, instead, asked to pay a visit to examine the goods before considering a bid. As the location of the item (Cheshire/Flintshire - is it one or the other ?) is one of my old stomping grounds I could have spent a night with a few old friends, got some answers to the many questions that have been asked on this thread, and presented the seller with a bill for the use of our material.

Anyway, it's too late now.
ScouserJoe

Postby MeBHank » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:25 pm

bor64 wrote:Mark Pressling modifications to the Sperzel machine heads?
Update needed please :?:
As Manuel said QUI? :mrgreen:

Rob, Hank has struggled with the Sperzels for a while, a fact supported by the addition of string trees to his number two Strat. A 1mm brass washer was fitted to the back of the headstock between the tuning keys and the wood itself on the top E string and possibly the B, thus pulling the string even further back. I've been considering having the same job done to my Strat.

Also the machine head on the D string was replaced with one of the shorter stagger type.

HTH...

J
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Postby BobGreg » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:28 am

A ridiculous price to ask - an orginal Burns Marvin doesn't approach this figure, even if erroneously attributed to being played by Hank.

I think even Musicground would have difficulty in asking this level of asking price!

Someone is having a laugh - at someone gullible enough to fall for it!
BobGreg

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:50 pm

Hi all. What I find interesting about the eBay questions to the seller when one man asks if Hank will be presenting the guitar to the buyer. The seller says no but you can have a CD of the present owner of the guitar playing with the Shadows. Who is the present owner?
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby bor64 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:14 pm

Justin, thanks a million for updating me regarding Hanks strats.... :thumbup:
I didn't see it when I handled and pictured Hanks gits a few years back... :oops: it was the excitement of that moment I reckon I missed those details :crazy:

The 00 40th strat...well it isn't one of mine,it's still hanging on my avatar :mrgreen:
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby bassgod » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:32 am

The guy now says in reply to a question about who the present owner is, that he has a CD and DVD of him playing with The Shadows but doesn't say who it is......Anyone got any ideas?

Andy
bassgod

Postby Alan Prudhoe » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:08 am

Alright then - I admit it.

Alan Prudhoe

Postby Apache1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:18 am

With a serial number like 00 it probably did belong to Hank, and don't forget it is a custom shop guitar, that started its life as a special one of 40 to be made woldwide. Hank can't keep every guitar he plays or has made for him. Unless he has a wharehouse dedicated to guitars --I would think it is a superb guitar,
and I don't think Hank got rid of this one because it is inferior, if the sales blurb in thre advert is "True" and Hank used it on the final Tour It sounded pretty good to me. What I will say is I think the price is completely over the top even though it did belong to the man himself. Unless you are a personal friend of
Hank's and are on terms with him that you can ring his mobile and speak to him (like friends do) and ask him what he thought to the guitar, I supose we will just have to buy it and play it and then give our opinion.
John
Apache1

Postby Gary Allen » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:12 pm

The current owner obviously had a few quid and paid 22k for it.....A real bargain at 25k (if you win the lotto)...Gary
Gary Allen

Full Real Name: Gary Allen

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows