'That Sound'. When did it end?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

'That Sound'. When did it end?

Postby StuartD » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:01 pm

Hi

I have been thinking about this for a few weeks now. When did 'That Sound', as so wonderfully displayed on Happy Birthday on here a few weeks ago, end? We all know the the Frightened City, The Savage have 'That Sound' but when did Hank stop using it.

For instance i think the last Cliff song it was used on was 'Do You Wanna Dance'. It certainly isn't the same on the second version of 'Gotta Funny Feeling' but it's there on the Young Ones version. It's not the same on I'll Be Me'. So when did it stop. What are your thoughts on 'Out of the Shadows'. What tracks had 'That Sound', if any - i certainly would put 'Cosy' in that bracket but not sure about 'The Rumble etc -and what about 'The Boys' EP and the two tracks from Summer Holiday, Les Girls and Round and Round? Having not heard it for many years, what about 'Stars Fell on Stockton'? It certainly seems to change around the time Brian joined the band - nothing to do with him of course - but I'd be interested to know anyone's views on this.

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Re: 'That Sound'. When did it end?

Postby dave robinson » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:31 pm

It's possibly to do with the change of amplifiers Stuart, I can't be certain if that was the answer in the case of The Shadows, but from experience I discovered that the difference between an AC30 with the EF86 circuit and the later ECC83 circuit is poles apart when comparing THAT SOUND, which is why we all struggled to achieve it for years. I now hear it every time I plug into one of my EF86 loaded amps, as do many of us on this site. :D
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby MeBHank » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:34 pm

I agree with Dave to a certain extent. The EF86 was vital to producing the tone we love. But the true majesty of the sound was lost when Hank stopped using the Meazzi. I plug into mine, set it to the Model 2 pattern and when I play I hear everything I love about Hank's early sound.

Then again, I love his later sound too, from the Roland echo units and Mesa Boogie amps. But it doesn't have the same rich tonality of those first hits.

IMO.

J
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Postby StuartD » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:05 pm

Hi Dave - Justin

I agree with the use of AC30's and the difference in the ecc83 and ef86 pre amp valves. I was wondering if we could date the change by listening to the tracks. Malcolm Campbell's book as all the dates of the recordings and i am sure we could come to some concensus of when the sound changed.

I love all Hank's sounds, the DeArmond period with the Top Boost amps and the Burns as well as the Mesa Boogie sound and back to the Strats. Just wondered when it ended and which tracks define this.

Thanks for your help

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby Bojan » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:02 pm

If we say THAT SOUND "as displayed on Happy Birthday," that is one thing, and then you have Dave's response: THAT SOUND = Stratocaster + Vox with EF86 + Meazzi echo . . . with certain exceptions (e.g. NIVRAM, Driftin' . . .).

But as far as I'm concerned, THAT SOUND is the sound of Hank Marvin and the Shadows (more or less). Is Guitar Tango THAT SOUND? Is All Day THAT SOUND? Is Geronimo THAT SOUND . . . and what about The Breeze and I, Atlantis, Theme for Young Lovers, Flingel Bunt, Fandango, Tonight, The High and The Mighty, GenieWTLBL, Zambesi, Temptation . . . and what about The Lost City, Santa Ana, or The Windjammer? And finally, what about Cavatina, Don't Cry for Me Argentina, or Summer Love '59 . . . I'm not sure we can say exactly when THAT SOUND stopped (unless we are talking about THAT sound "as displayed on Happy Birthday").
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby dave robinson » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:24 pm

Rightly or wrongly I have always had my own definition of THAT SOUND - It's on the singles from Apache until Dance On, although a difference in sound could be heard at that time, then there's the first Album 'THE SHADOWS' and the First EP with Mustang/Shane/Shotgun/Giant.
After that there was a noticeable change though I still love it to bits, but the 'magic' that made the impression on me was those early tunes as described. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Didier » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:20 pm

I am not sure when it ended, but when I saw them for the second time at the Paris Olympia in 1964, it's wasn't "that sound" anymore...
For me, the main part is the Meazzi echo box, not the EF86. I have heard a comparative test of an AC30 with or without an EF86, and the EF86 didn't brought "that sound", in fact there was little noticeable difference.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby roger bayliss » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:01 pm

I thnk we should also consider the recording desks and equipment as used at Abbey Rd studio 2 on top of the other things as well and for sure the Meazzi was to my mind the tone shaping item with the ef86 along with HBM's playing technique. The character of the drums also changed and the bass sound as Jet and Tony left. I was listening to Tony Meehans drumming over last few nights and it's another great part of it all as well as Jet and Bruce's rhythmn.. The magic has never returned since although the subseqent players have all been great in their own right and the recording too.. but think without doubt the ef86 and the Meazzi was when it changed.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby bgohara » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:16 pm

does the kingston live cd have 'that sound', for example?
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby MeBHank » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:24 pm

bgohara wrote:does the kingston live cd have 'that sound', for example?

That's the killer question. I think the Kingston sound is amazing. Hank is there using a Meazzi but not an EF86 valve equipped amp. I do miss the compression the EF86 provides, but the echo is evident is spades and the sound still has the spacey depth that was lost as Hank decided to use less echo and eventually change units.

J
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Next

Return to The Shadows