'That Sound'. When did it end?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: 'That Sound'. When did it end?

Postby Gary Allen » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:39 pm

I thought Wonderful Land at Kingston had that sound..Very close to the studio version....Gary
Gary Allen

Full Real Name: Gary Allen

Postby Bojan » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:58 pm

Maybe it has THAT SOUND but it hasn't got THAT MAGIC . . . Perhaps we should differentiate between these two things.
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby BobGreg » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:21 am

When I eventually acquired an early Vox Ac30, it didn't have the "vintage sound" of the EF86, but with the incorporation of a special version of Roger Allcock's Vintage unit plus the missing trebble boost circuit I feel that my Vox amp gained the ability to provide that "special sound".

After hearing Phil Kelly playing in Bruce's Shadows, using Roger's vintage unit I feel that this provides "that special sound" - clearly others feel different!

As to when it ended I still feel that the Kingston recording captures that sound in a live situation - with or without the Vox amps.
BobGreg

Postby dave robinson » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:09 am

So, if the Meazzi was such a major part of THAT SOUND (the one I described in my earlier post), why is it that we can clearly hear it on 'Move It' when there wasn't a Meazzi in sight - but the amp was there. In my opinion we are crediting the Meazzi for more than it contributed. Also, many of the early Cliff & The Drifters/Shadows recordings clearly have THAT SOUND, before the Meazzi was introduced. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby MeBHank » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:28 pm

dave robinson wrote:So, if the Meazzi was such a major part of THAT SOUND (the one I described in my earlier post), why is it that we can clearly hear it on 'Move It' when there wasn't a Meazzi in sight - but the amp was there. In my opinion we are crediting the Meazzi for more than it contributed. Also, many of the early Cliff & The Drifters/Shadows recordings clearly have THAT SOUND, before the Meazzi was introduced. :idea:

In that case, Dave, it's down to our individual perceptions. The aspect of the sound you evidently like is that caused by the the EF86 valve. I personally wouldn't identify Ernie's guitar on Move It as having "That Sound". It's an exciting sound, it's sharp and swamped in reverb, but it lacks the majesty of Hank's bouncy but smooth, melodic playing. The 1961(ish) period was simply incredible soundwise, IMO.

For me, the Meazzi needs to be present for the guitar to have the awesome charisma that we love, and that's what I define as "That Sound".

J
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Postby Apache1 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:02 pm

Well in my humble opinion "That Sound" is still there whenever Hank wants it as the man himself has grown older over the years just like the rest of us
he has experimented with different equipment, but "Life Story" Apache is just like the original in 1960, I am talking about the guitar sound and not the
recording quality as back in the 60s most of the recording were done on Ferrograph Tape machines.
Also Hanks style of playing has "Matured" I think to try and lay the answer on a valve (EF86) is pretty presumtious.
I would think that at any given time Hank could plug in and play "That Sound" I may be wrong, but I would like to bet he can reproduce any sound he wants
Got to say I was not too impressed with his current sound on the 50th Anniversary show at Sheffield Arena.
Apache1

Postby ecca » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:22 pm

EF86
ecca

Postby Bojan » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:36 pm

Reading Justin's and Dave's (differing) opinions, I am inclined to agree with both of them, leading to the conclusion that THAT SOUND was not the result of one single factor but a combination of several factors:

-- Vox AC with EF86
-- Meazzi echo
-- Stratocaster (fiesta red :D )
-- Abbey Road studios
-- Hank's unique playing style

plus our own perception (aural and emotional) . . .

. . . and when one or more of these factors was taken away from the combination, there was still a great and exciting sound, but definitely lacking the "majesty" as Justin said so aptly, or the magic of THAT SOUND.
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby Mark Burton » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:05 pm

After Wonderful Land
Mark Burton
Mark Burton

Full Real Name: Mark Burton

Postby AlanMcKillop » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:21 pm

Hank continued to use a Meazzi well after WL, so do we discount the Meazzi? ;)
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows