'That Sound'. When did it end?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: 'That Sound'. When did it end?

Postby Apache1 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:28 am

To Dave in reply I thought Hank Played extreamly well at the Arena, it was his sound, I was under the immpression that the JMI used the EF86 valve in this
10 only JMI Amps. specially produced for this tour. The sound he gets on C'mon Everybody is very different to the norm we expect from him.
and Allthough Hank was on top form his sound was "Thick" and not as clear as I have heard him play "Live" from 2000 to 2003 when he used the Matchless.
I know you are going to tell me that Matchless use the EF86 pentode, I just dont think that --- "THAT SOUND " is all down to one valve.
Apache1

Postby abstamaria » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:38 am

Such interesting discussions then, like this one, which is a pleasure and still instructive to reread.

A decade on from that discussion, I wonder whether “That Sound” is ending too in this forum, If it hasn’t already left. There’s very little of the discussions on the Shadows early years now.. Maybe we’ve discussed everything already. Musical tastes have also evolved, so perhaps we don’t share the same interests anymore. Chasing the Grail was a common pursuit, but several have given up, gotten tired, or yielded to the practicalities of playing before an audience only casually interested in The Shadows.

Back here on this island, with a quarantine in place and a lockdown threatened, we started a little group focused on instrumental - guitar band - music from 1960 to end-1963, with some allowance for pieces released in 1964. We’re looking now at Bruce’s chord progression for Wonderful Land. As before, we’ll chase after That Sound, capture all the nuances, missed notes and so on. Or at least we’ll try. It will be fun.

Best,

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby RogerCook » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:53 am

Bruce has evolved the way he plays Wonderful Land, particularly the positions/voicings and strumming patterns on the C, Em, F, G section.
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby abstamaria » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:17 am

Yes, Roger. I read here:

G-D-F-Dm-C-Am-C-Am-F-Dm-Bb-G

Did Bruce play that progression in the original recording?

Best regards,

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby David Martin » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:09 am

For what it's worth, my original 1964 AC30 TB, plus Roger's Vintage unit covered all bases to my satisfaction - from early twang through mellow softness to dry, nasal Burns. I wish I hadn't 'sold it - every guitar I had sounded great through it... but I was overcome by the weight... :(
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby RogerCook » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:16 am

Yes, I think so from what I hear on the recording, at the low end of the fingerboard. Also on the record I think he plays C, Em, F, G7 behind he muted lead part with largely open position chords. If you watch the Final Tour and Reunion versions, Bruce plays thes chords further up the neck, possibly with the C at the 8th fret then moving down the neck for the other chords. I'll need to check to see what he actually plays though - I've forgotten!
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby Hank2k » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:22 am

David Martin wrote:For what it's worth, my original 1964 AC30 TB, plus Roger's Vintage unit covered all bases to my satisfaction - from early twang through mellow softness to dry, nasal Burns. I wish I hadn't 'sold it - every guitar I had sounded great through it... but I was overcome by the weight... :(

Yep that is the common denominator for me! Lots of gigs we do i take the Katana instead of the Vox. I can get the Katana, Stand and Pedals etc all in the boot of my car with no prob and set up and pack up in minutes!
Hank2k

Postby dave robinson » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:53 am

We still have our ex Jet Harris Vox AC30 TBX to which I added Roger's Vintage unit as well as my AC30/4 clone by Rod Jenks with the EF86.
We did comparison tests in the studio and managed to set up all our alternative, more modern and lighter amps to almost the same sound - indistinguishable in a live performance. We have options of our Peavey Dealta Blues 15s, which have 4 x EL84s same as Vox, as well as my Katana 100 head that I no longer use in favour of my Fender Twin Tone Master which does a good AC30 impression thanks to it's Jensen speakers and power control - I use it on 22 watts. That way I get the 'drive' at low level, instead of nearly 100 watts of clean, head splitting guitar as it was with the original Twin with JBL speakers.
We will use the Voxes again at some point, maybe if only for aesthetics, but our Shadows sound hasn't suffered by using modern gear, simply because we know more than we did twenty years ago. Like Steve Reynolds pointed out on another thread, this is a great time to be a guitarist with all the great advancement in technology. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby martinmj » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:43 pm

Quite fascinating reading this thread end-to-end. As someone who is enjoying squeezing every bit of fun out of my newly-acquired Hall & Collins, it never ceases to amaze me what a tiny change in set-up can do to a guitar's sound. My Fender Classic Player with Pau Ferro fretboard is the main instrument I am still trying to tweak, and having just bought an Actone which is linked to the H & C I'm getting close to what I'm after. Interesting to hear somone say that for them Kon-Tiki defines THAT sound, because that is exactly what i am using as my main benchmark test at the moment, along with Wonderful Land, and Dance On. I had an problem a couple of days back when the Strat seemed to be showing a tendancy to over-emphasise the G string sound-my fault because I had not yet put a new set of strings on! The problem string proved to be black(!), yet rang like a bell. However the new replacement showed a dullness in place of the previous over-brightness, so back to another set. This time I managed to achieve a balance sonically. I still prefer the sound I'm getting from the neck pickup rather than the bridge pickup, although i do tend to play with my hand resting on the bridge, so quite close to the bridge pickup. I tried a comparison with my other Fiesta Red/maple neck Classic Player Strat with the same pickups, and there is a difference in sound, albeit slight. Time for some more practice....
So yes, it's still fun chasing ( The) shadows!
Mike
martinmj

Full Real Name: Michael John Martin

Previous

Return to The Shadows