ecca

Re: Macca: The Beatles weren't that good

Postby ecca » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:12 pm

or even
Macca is it.
ecca

Postby Moderne » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:04 pm

dave robinson wrote:The Beatles weren't that good ? - neither were The Shadows, Drifters or Railroders at that stage in their careers. Just listen to the singles before Saturday Dance, they are a joke !

Let's get real here, having seen the Paul McCartney tour in 2003, all he Hank tours, The Shadows reunion tours and the 'Reunited' tour with Cliff, I hate to have to admit it but I can say hand on heart that the Macca tour was better than all of the latter, by way of presentation , sound , lighting - everything and he sang live. Like the man said - ''different class'' :|

I think it's a little harsh to refer to the pre-Saturday Dance singles as "a joke". They are raw and unrefined - especially the Five Chesternuts single - compared to the music The Shadows went on to produce but I wouldn't call them a joke. I think Driftin' in particular is a great track, especially considering Hank, Bruce and Tony were 16-17 at the time. Jet's bassline is awesome! And what about Tony's fills in Jet Black?

I'm also puzzled by your emphasis on the fact that "he sang live." Are there instances of Cliff/Shadows vocals not being live? I'm a Beatles fan too but unfortunately didn't see the 2003 Paul tour; I wish I had if it was indeed superior in every department to all the Hank, Shads and Cliff/Shads tours you refer to!!

Clive 'Real' - or 'Unreal'
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby dave robinson » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:35 pm

Sorry if you were confused Clive, I understood the topic was referring to vocal ability - I can't hear the vocals on 'Driftin' ', but I can hear them on 'Feelin' Fine' etc and I think they are a bit ropey. I mention this because someone was slagging off the Beatles early vocals, but were implying that The Shadows were flawless at that time . . . . not so.

Regarding Paul McCartney on his tour in 2003 - he did sing live, to the extent that on the night we went to see him, the show had to be postponed because he had laryngitis and cancelled after the soundcheck, whilst we were queuing to get into the Arena. We were rescheduled for a few weeks later and he was awesome!

I take it that you haven't seen the current tour?
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby ecca » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:52 pm

We went to see Paul during his 90's tour at the NEC, it was gobsmackingingly good.
We went the next night in the hopes of getting a cancellation ticket and we did.
It was even better, we were right at the side of the stage but we waved to Linda and she waved back, quite exclusive really.
We could see how he and his piano were lifted into the sky...... by a forklift truck !
Fantastic.
ecca

Postby Moderne » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:26 pm

I'll probably be accused of sounding pedantic but I can't see anything in the earlier posts to suggest that the thread title refers just to vocal ability. And there are vocals on Driftin'...they call out "one, two" and do some shrieking! :D

Yes, I have seen the current tour...twice: NIA Birmingham and Wembley Arena. I thought the lead and harmony vocals were pretty impressive.Still not clear about the "he was live" line. Have I missed something? Were Cliff and Shads tour vocals pre-recorded?

Clive
Moderne

Postby dave robinson » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:42 pm

No comment.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Moderne » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:11 pm

Do we take that as a'yes'?? I think we should be told...!

Clive
Moderne

Postby AlanMcKillop » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:15 pm

I think it was quite obvious Clive, just think 'Willie'. :D
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby Moderne » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:50 pm

Sorry for being so thick, everyone but no it's not obvious. Perhaps my seats were too far back or maybe my eyes/ears need testing...
Moderne

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows