Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Macca: The Beatles weren't that good

Postby Mikey » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:55 pm

We deserve to be told the truth :?
Mikey

Postby strongbow » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:32 am

While I only attended one concert – Newcastle – I didn’t see any evidence that the vocals weren’t live. And because we were a fair distance back in the arena, I watched the screen most of the time, so generally had a close-up view. I did think there were a few places where Cliff husbanded his resources, letting the backing voices carry the load. But for a 69 year-old man doing a two-hour concert, there’s nothing wrong with that.

And from what I understand from people who saw a number of concerts, there were sometimes differences in the vocals from night to night, including several times where he messed up a lyric, although not always on the same song. Of course, it’s possible that all of that was an elaborate ruse to cover up general miming. But colour me sceptical.

As for the general point about singing live, if cancelling a show because of laryngitis confirms Paul McCartney’s bona fides, then it should be noted that Cliff has occasionally done the same thing – for instance, two shows were cancelled during the Heathcliff run for precisely that reason.

That said, it is generally understood that there have been situations where vocals were pre-recorded because of elaborate production routines involving interaction with dancers – for example, the Oh Boy! segment of the From a Distance tour back in 1990. But that’s not unusual for shows of that nature – I believe parts of Madonna’s concert vocals are always pre-recorded. I’ve never seen Paul live, but my understanding is that he doesn’t go in for production routines, so that situation wouldn’t arise.
strongbow

Full Real Name: pat murphy

Postby Apache1 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:36 am

Long ago in the far distant past The Co-op Emporium in Doncaster as it was known (Now T.J.Hughes) had a restaraunt on the third floor which turned into a "Beat Night" every Wednesday 2/6d Addmison We worked through an Agent called Ernie Beaty Varieties, Who had booked a little know Band called The Beatles we were also there playing most weeks (as we were stand by Group) in case someone didn't turn up. I was our job to open up for the Liverpool band.
I can tell you at that time they were a scruffy bunch, and did not go down too well with the audience who were used to Shane Fenton & The Fentones -
Mal Ryder & The Spirits - Jimmy Crawford & The Ravens, and Dave Berry & The Cruisers. (Dave Robinson might verify that) they had no Echo on their guitars
as everyone was used to that sound, The Beatles came in running straight from the Vox They might have been The pride of Liverpool but they were not cutting
it with the Doncaster crowd that night. I am certainly not saying they were not talented they were, but to compare them with Cliff & The Shadows yes they were
in a different league, Cliff & The Shadows were "PREMIER"
Apache1

Previous

Return to The Shadows