50`s classic series?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

50`s classic series?

Postby steve.t » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:32 am

hi, iv`e just ordered the fender 50`s classic series strat in YES! fiesta red. most customer reviews iv`e read sound favourable, just wondered if anyone out there had bought,played,seen one or got any comments on them good or bad?
£389 seems good v.f.money & as it`s a prezzy from my other half, one cannot complain can one.
also unfortunately i couldn`t get to the 1st s.yorks club meeting in doncaster on the sunday 1st,did anyone get to it & how did it go? hopefully well suported.
cheers, steve.
steve.t

Full Real Name: stephen taylor

Re: 50`s classic series?

Postby tony parnham » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:58 am

Hi Steve,
Yes I have one. For the price they are the best thing since sliced bread. Although you don't have to make any modifications here's what I did;
1) The stock pickups are pretty good but you might wish to replace with CS54's or 57/62's or whatever your choice.
2) Change the string tree for one with a collar or you may get clinking ( About £4 off ebay) a must really.
3) Because I had bought a Vintage Callaham Tremelo system last year I put it on but the stock Trem is fine but you might want to make sure there is a little spring in the screw hole.
I liked the guitar so much I then decided to indulge myself and have the hardware gold plated, another option.

However straight out of the box at £389 its a snip you wont be dissapointed its a great Fiesta Red colour.
Tony
tony parnham

Full Real Name: Tony Parnham

Postby Bartgitaar » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:03 pm

Also I have a classic 50's strat in Fiesta red. The only thing I modified were the pickups. Like Tony said, the standard pickups are fine, but I changed mine to CS54 after a comparison test of different types of pickups. I love that guitar and I wouldn't want any other type of strat up till now. Congratulations with your buying it.

Greetz
Bart
Bartgitaar

Postby d jones » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:15 pm

Hi bought one about 2 years ago and i'am well pleased the build quality and finish is excellent PS nearly binned the tiny spring though until i realized what i was for, it really is tiny , it also comes with a well padded carry bag enjoy your new arrival!

Dave
d jones

Postby dobroman » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:41 pm

I'm (hopefully) getting one for christmas . . . and am really looking forward to that, so thanks to those that have offered comments, it's nice to know that it was the right choice.

Regards

Brian
dobroman

Full Real Name: Brian Ford

Postby John Boyd » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:14 pm

Hi Brian,
I also have a 50'sClassic Strat. I fitted 57/62 pickups and US gold hardware.
The Fiesta Red colour is just as I remember it from my (now sold) '62, and it's a keeper.
Cheers,
JB
John Boyd

Full Real Name: John Boyd

Postby scotocaster » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:52 am

Steve, like the others, i'm very happy with mine. It's fine the way it comes from the factory. I changed all my hardware to gold just for the cosmetic look and installed 57/62 pups i had from another strat. The Fender gold tremolo sysytem i bought i replaced with a Wilkinson gold pop-in tremolo (thanks to John boyd for guiding me i the right direction) and i'm really happy with the sound. have a great day. Scott
scotocaster

Postby emielvisser48 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:37 am

Hi All,
Is this the Mexican made one?
If it is, then I own one too. Changed the pickup's for 57/62's and like it very much as it is now.
The Fiesta Red is in my eyes very red, but nevertheless, very well made.

Regards,
Emiel
emielvisser48

Full Real Name: Emiel Visser

Postby steve.t » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:12 am

hi guys,thanks for the info & tips,all taken on board.the guitar should arrive today so looking forward to trying her out.
i`m in s.yorks so does anyone know of a local tech or well reputed shop who may sort the upgrades out for me should feel i need to go down that root? thanks again for the feedback.cheers, steve.
steve.t

Full Real Name: stephen taylor

Postby emielvisser48 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:21 am

Hi Steve,

I think the guitar deserves an upgrading of pickups. The standard ones are not bad, but, almost as always, the brigde pickup is very bright. You also could change just that one....

Let friday the 13th be your lucky day!!

Regards,
Emiel
emielvisser48

Full Real Name: Emiel Visser

Next

Return to The Shadows