Theme for Young Lovers

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Theme for Young Lovers

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:09 am

The point about re-reading old threads is a good one. I recommend the Search facility at the top. It’s amazing what comes up.

I once found an excellent explanation of some abstruse matter, only to discover it had been written by me!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby artyman » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:54 am

I've never heard or even knew of the existence of the Deitrich version. I tend to play the double note at the start though
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Postby abstamaria » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:31 pm

Iain Purdon wrote:The point about re-reading old threads is a good one. I recommend the Search facility at the top. It’s amazing what comes up.

I once found an excellent explanation of some abstruse matter, only to discover it had been written by me!

That is very funny.
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby iefje » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:43 pm

The original stereo version of "Theme For Young Lovers" was first issued on the Cliff Richard & The Shadows album "Wonderful Life" in July, 1964. This version has the lead guitar on the left hand side of the stereo image. On the 1977 compilation album "20 Golden Greats", the stereo image has been reversed, so the lead guitar is relocated to the right hand side. The 1991 6 CD box set "The Early Years 1959-1966" has (as mentioned here) a mismastered double note at the start and also its stereo image reversed as compared to the original stereo version, so the lead guitar can be heard on the right hand side.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Fenderman » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:10 pm

My CD copy of 'The first 20 years at the top' has the version with the error.
When i first heard it i went back and dug out my old vinyl single and it wasn't there, surprised no one noticed at the time of the remastering.
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby ribiers » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:29 pm

...in any case....one of their greatest melody....!
ribiers

Full Real Name: jean-pierreMerlier

Postby Hank2k » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:05 am

am i the only one that plays the note three times at the start then.....
Hank2k

Postby RayL » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:29 pm

The 5-CD box set called 'The Best Of Cliff Richard And The Shadows' includes the reversed-stereo double-note version.

Considering that this is not an 'early days' stereo mix, it seems odd that so many flaws crept in. The distorted acoustic rhythm guitar (an overdub by Hank according to my copy of 'a pocket guide to shadow music') was presumably let through because Bruce was not at the session. The reversal means that Brian becomes a southpaw and all his kit is panned hard left along with the rhythm guitar, apart from the floor tom (for the 'boom boom-boom') which about 50% to the right. together with Hank who is panned hard right. Perhaps someone thought that since Hank normally stood on the right of stage (as seen by the audience) he should be there on this recording? John Rostill is, alas, almost absent from the mix.

Wouldn't it be nice if copies of the original multitrack (presumably 4-track at that time) were available so that people could do their own remixes?

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby iefje » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:11 pm

RayL wrote:John Rostill is, alas, almost absent from the mix.Ray

He surely is absent from the mix, because it is Brian Locking who plays bass guitar on this track.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:12 am

Hank2k wrote:am i the only one that plays the note three times at the start then.....

Any advance on four?

You are correct Ray, Abbey Road (or to give its correct name EMI Studios) was still 4-track in 1964; it didn't go to 8-track until '67, slightly too late for Sergeant Pepper.

You may find this of interest:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... od/381820/
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows