Hank's Double Six

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Hank's Double Six

Postby BrianD » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:31 pm

I confess that when I saw the pictures one or two have posted on this site showing Hank with his Burns Double 6 I assumed this was the guitar he has, and as far as I am aware still owns, given a clean-up, and a set-up.

Last night I sat down and watched the DVD of the Reunion Concert (absolutely first class). As an ex-Double 6 player i was interested to see how his sounded. I noticed the 12th fret has a block inlay rather than the standard Burns 3 dots, and, it now has a trem arm which was missing from his old '60s guitar when he played it at the Birmingham 25th Anniverasry concert. I assume this is 001 from the new batch Barry will soon be introducing in the current Burns range. Anyone know any more on this?

Brian
BrianD

Full Real Name: Brian Dandridge

Re: Hank's Double Six

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:06 pm

Hi Brian. I believe three custom Apache basses were made by Burns for Hank to use on the tour.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby bgohara » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:18 pm

It also sounds like the ordinary 12 string - whereas the one from the 1984 shows (which I assume is one of Hank's originals) I think has the 'bass' strings - and I think has a more distinctive sound. I'll bet he used that one on the album (on the beach sounds terrific, imho)
Bernie
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby fenderplucker » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:56 am

Hi,

Hank does still has his original greenburst double six and was trying to get it set up for the tour but was having difficulty getting the bass strings for it so he didn't take it.

The Reunited CD version of On the Beach was done by doubling a Fender VI bass with a Strat with 12's.

Regards,

paul.
fenderplucker

Full Real Name: Paul Rossiter

Postby David Martin » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:06 am

The Double Six Apache will be available to buy next year... at around £1500 according to Barry G... hmmm...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby bor64 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:23 am

Hanks '64 greenburst double six was used on the 1984 reunion,and was fitted with a normal 12 string set and an added rez-o-tube bridge for tuning stability and no tremarm was used.
Paul you wrote about bass strings for the D6 greenburst....as far as I know Hank has still his redburst proto D6, fitted with those special bass strings....??
Would like to know the stringgauge from that set of strings..... :mrgreen:
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby BrianD » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:41 am

fenderplucker wrote:Hi,

Hank does still has his original greenburst double six and was trying to get it set up for the tour but was having difficulty getting the bass strings for it so he didn't take it.

The Reunited CD version of On the Beach was done by doubling a Fender VI bass with a Strat with 12's.

Regards,

paul.

Interesting that Hank used this set up for the recording. I must confess I was slightly disappointed by the sound of the D6 on the DVD of the O2 concert and didn't think it sounded as strong as I would have expected. The sound of the Strat(s) on the DVD are fantastic but I thought the sound of the D6 was a little weak and not as good as that of his old D6 on the 25th Anniversary Birmingham concert video, but that is just my opinion.

Brian
BrianD

Full Real Name: Brian Dandridge

Return to The Shadows