Do We Do Anybody a Favour When we Point to Ebay Items ?

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Do We Do Anybody a Favour When we Point to Ebay Items ?

Postby OLDEREK » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:58 pm

I've never used it, but I'm sure it's beaten me a few times !...... :D

"You Are Guaranteed To Succeed With Bidnapper"
http://www.bidnapper.com/
OLDEREK

Postby noelford » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:24 pm

You don't need sniper software. It's very easy to place a bid within the last few seconds of an auction. The critical factor is your top price. If someone else has a higher limit, your'e stuffed anyway. As long as your top bid really IS the most you are willing to pay, then, if you are outbid, there is no problem.
noelford

Postby Didier » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:48 pm

BarryH wrote:I take Derek's view about alerting others to items listed on eBay. It has it's good and bad points. First we're a "community" and you're doing others on the site a favour by letting them know something good is on there. On the other hand you're not doing any favours to the other member that's already watching the item, hoping for a bargain.

It's perfectly obvious that if there is something of interest for Shadows' fans on sale on eBay, and that you are looking to buy it at the lowest possible price, it's not a good idea to mention it on a Shadows' forum, as you can only increase competition and lead to higher biddings !

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby alanbakewell » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:49 pm

noelford wrote:You don't need sniper software. It's very easy to place a bid within the last few seconds of an auction. The critical factor is your top price. If someone else has a higher limit, your'e stuffed anyway. As long as your top bid really IS the most you are willing to pay, then, if you are outbid, there is no problem.

Bang on Noel.

If I'm watching something on E-Bay that I really want the last thing I'm going to do is tell everybody else about it.

I often look at E-Bay to see what's going on. However if I'm looking for something specific I'll clock in as often as possible in the latter stages.

Alan McKillop's maximum bid idea makes sound sense and is really the only way to go. ( Unless you're loaded ).

Personally, I've never bid before 15 seconds from the end of the auction. Maximum bid, one off. 8-)

Of course, if it's your own gear that you're flogging, tell 'em baby, tell 'em. :D

Cheers, Alan.
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Postby bridev » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:17 pm

Sorry chaps, didn't make myself clearer, that is what we do too. Decide how much and no more.
I was just having a gripe about sniping, so frustrating :x I do take your point though Alan. Perhaps me and the guv'nor should hold off till the last.

Cheers
Brian.
The older the fiddler the sweeter the tune
bridev

Full Real Name: brian devlin

Postby John Brown » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:52 pm

I agree with the Alans and Noel, it is far better to decide what you consider an item is worth to you and at the last few seconds bid your maximum amount. This stop you getting involved in an auction - hours or minutes before and finding you have paid far more than you wanted just because the adrenalin is flowing and you are prepared to out bid the so and so even if it bankrupts you. Once you have made your one bid offer if you win great if you are out bid, you walk away with no regrets.
And of course only let people know about an item you are selling :lol:
Best Regards
John
John Brown

Full Real Name: John Brown

Postby Graylion » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:04 pm

OK Alan - you're saying to go in at the last minute with your max. bid. When you said "I think that you should always go in with a maximum price" I thought you meant at the beginning of bidding. A lot of people say that there's no point in "sniping" - but they're wrong! I've watched "bidding fever" start very early on in a listing until it's got far beyond what the item is really worth - that's even with "new" items. It almost always raises the price, so is good for sellers and eBay. Cheers, Lionel
Graylion

Postby Mikey » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:21 pm

If I hadn't seen the notification on this forum I never would have known about Bruce's book which i was fortunate enough to win yesterday. I wonder if I was bidding against anyone from this site :?:
Mikey

Postby Hank2k » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:28 pm

Mikey wrote:If I hadn't seen the notification on this forum I never would have known about Bruce's book which i was fortunate enough to win yesterday. I wonder if I was bidding against anyone from this site :?:

You were bidding against me but i decided it was too much so fair play to you ;)
Hank2k

Postby Mikey » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:06 pm

quote]You were bidding against me but i decided it was too much so fair play to you ;)[/quote]

I'm sorry you missed out on this occasion.
If my wife found out what I paid for it she'd think it was too much too :shock:
Mikey

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows