The Shadows live in Japan 1967

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Shadows - Unreleased Material - Live In Japan (1967)

Postby Fenderman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:16 pm

Would it be worth contacting the current license holders and seeing if they would interested in releasing it?
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

The Shadows live in Japan 1967

Postby JimN » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:54 pm

That's right, 1967, not 1969. This is the longest lived line-up of the 1960s: Hank, Bruce, Brian and John.

From someone, somewhere (I really cannot remember who, though I wish I could), I have received a CD-R of a Shadows live performance, recorded live somewhere in Japan, on 24th July 1967 [now corrected to 24th June 1967].

I hadn't paid it much attention until today, but now that I do, I observe that this is a fairly high quality recording in performance and engineering as well as customer-end fidelity and... it's actually in stereo!

The track listing (which I assume was preceded by another tune or two, probably including Shazam!) is:

1. Don't Make My Baby Blue
2. Let It Be Me
3. Apache
4. Nivram
5. In The Mood
6. Bombay Duck
7. Mary Anne
8. A Little Bitty Tear
9. The Green Green Grass Of Home
10. Foot Tapper
11. Shadoogie (a mildly different arrangement from other recorded versions)
12. Spring Is Nearly Here (with DeArmond pedal)
13. The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt
14. Somewhere (with DeArmond pedal)
15. Little B
16. F.B.I.

Can anyone tell me anything about this item? Use a PM to contact me by all means, or an email to jimbohoo@sky.com.

TIA

JN
Last edited by JimN on Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Re: The Shadows live in Japan 1967

Postby GoldenStreet » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:16 pm

Jim - This entry in Malcolm Campbell's Shadows Website could have some relevance, although the date in question appears to be 24 June 1967, not July...

http://www.malcolmcampbell.me.uk/japan/01/

Any help at all?

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby iefje » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:41 am

GoldenStreet wrote:Jim - This entry in Malcolm Campbell's Shadows Website could have some relevance, although the date in question appears to be 24 June 1967, not July...

http://www.malcolmcampbell.me.uk/japan/01/

Any help at all?

Bill

I think that's correct, because by halfway through July, The Shadows were back in England to record tracks for the albums "The Shadows In Japan" and "From Hank, Bruce, Brian And John".
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby JimN » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:33 pm

Yes... I had checked Malcolm's site yesterday afternoon and had seen that the tour had finished before late July 1967, but with a mention of a Tokyo concert on 24th June, which sits very nicely with this recording.

So the date is amended...!

No problem. I'll duplicate the CD-R so that the writing on it can be changed and I'll shred the existing one!

Just to be clear - this is not the TV off-air that has been circulating for more than 50 years. It is a much longer recording, in better quality and in stereo, with the odd very minor sign of "ticking" as though it had arrived via a vinyl source. The ticks are very easily repaired, though.

It's all a fascinating conundrum.
JimN

Postby GoldenStreet » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:46 pm

"Of the numbers played by The Shadows on tour, only BOMBAY DUCK had a Japanese connection; but the group capitalised on their visit when they returned home by recording a number of Japanese / Japanese-related compositions and releasing in November 1967 an Album designed solely for that country, The Shadows In Japan. As it happened, Columbia had actually recorded one of the above shows for a live Album presumably with the Japanese market in mind, but the project came to nothing".

Malcolm's reference to Columbia would suggest Norrie's involvement in the recording of one of the shows... perhaps this could be the source of your CD-R stereo dubbing, given its technical quality. Quite a rarity if that is the case!

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby JimN » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:55 pm

I am gradually finding out more about this item...
JimN

Postby Stan666 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:04 pm

Where we can get Green, Green grass of Home sung by our freineds?
Stan666

Full Real Name: Miquel Castillo

Postby drakula63 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:00 pm

I'd be wiling to bet that Shazam and Dance On were omitted from the start of the set!

Be nice if this recording found its way to Dusty Tapes and got a release...
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby John Boyd » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:03 pm

Greetings from NZ.
Just enjoying this bootleg CD once more. It certainly sounds as though it was recorded very 'professionally', probably for commercial release.
Maybe Dusty will discover it and come up with another of their quality archival releases.
JB
John Boyd

Full Real Name: John Boyd

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows