Demos of Sliders Pickups

Members' sound and video clips

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Demos of Sliders Pickups

Postby phil kelly » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:12 pm

just caught up with this thread, nice soundfiles Dave, it was / is to my ear very apparent how much pickups made in this way contribute closer to the sound we love, glad both yourself and Mark are pleased with your sets, hope to get and see you and the bootlegs sometime Mark,
Best regards,
Phil.

p.s. aye !
phil kelly

Full Real Name: phil kelly

Postby dave robinson » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:25 pm

Thanks Phil, they do the business alright. I had a set of 13/56 strings on the guitar for those demos, but took them off today as it's a bit difficult to play our normal show as the wound third refuses to bend with any effect.
I fitted some Gibson Vintage Reissue 12/50's and guess what ? They sound just as good. :D
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby David Martin » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:04 pm

As requested I have removed all the irrelevant/off topic/abusive postings from this topic in the interests of letting people see the real purpose of it...

I have, however, copied the original to General (and locked it) just so you can see what's been going on... I'll delete that after a day or so...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby ernie1958 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:26 pm

8-) Ok lads..point proven here and I must agree to a certain point that the Sliders do compliment the sound we all tend to want to have
when playing Shads music.I still have the original pickups on my L-series '63 Strat and love 'em to bits but I wonder...
Does the aging process really affect the tonal response of the pups THAT greatly or am I just imagining things?
Compared to the Sliders the originals do tend to have a little less "bite" to them,but that's all I can confirm myself imo..
Also I would like to hear if possible a few tunes on the Masterbuilt Strat, David(Robinson or Martin.. :D )
That would be nice to compare the sound of pretty expensive pups to ones that are just as good for a more decent price for us with a
little less to shell out for.. :lol:
Don't get me wrong guys..we always say "you get what you pay for" where I come from,so maybe that would confirm things for me.
Anyway...thanks again to Phil and Dave for taking the time and effort in filling us Shads nerds in with what the Sliders can do for our
beloved Strat! ;)

Cheers,
Ernie
ernie1958

Postby tony parnham » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:16 am

Hi ernie,
Not that I know too much about this but I once knew a chap who said he had his old pickups re-magetised which brought them back to life. ????
Tony
tony parnham

Full Real Name: Tony Parnham

Postby dave robinson » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:30 pm

Ernie, I wouldn't change those original pickups, yes they do mellow with time (we have an original '59 Strat here for comparison) but no way would I interfere with the originals unless broken. The pickups on our '59 sound beautiful.
The Sliders pickups are the best out of many that I have tried and as I said earlier, are a close match to Fender's 'flagship' '54's that are fitted to the 50th Anniversary Strat that sounds amazing. I am a big fan of Fender 57/62's, but they don't do the business on every guitar as I have discovered, it's to do with wood types, wood density, neck types etc.
If you want to contact Rod in Australia you just needto Google 'Sliders' and his details will appear.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby ernie1958 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:37 pm

8-) One thing I forgot to mention though,or maybe I overread something in an earlier post...does the Sliders '59 set have
Alnico 3 or 5 pole magnets? I heard there is a difference in tonal response that can be defined in how much vintage "honk" they can
reproduce...
This could also be a very important factor for trying to achieve the sound we want for a particular time period, say 50's 0r 60's...
Btw..I've never heard of remagnetising old pickups..only getting them rewound if necessary.. :shock:

Cheers,
Ernie
ernie1958

Postby JimN » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:46 pm

ernie1958 wrote:Btw..I've never heard of remagnetising old pickups..only getting them rewound if necessary.. :shock:
Cheers,
Ernie

Oh yes - pickup magnets can be re-magnetised if necessary. The metal from which they are made is not naturally magnetic when mined. It is magnetised (artificially) in the first place. I believe that Seymour Duncan's factory has apparatus which can not only magnetise (or re-magnetise) the magnetic components, but can also be used to de-magnetise them, in order to artificially age their response. This, of course, because there are some who prefer the sound of a 40-year-old pickup to a new one!

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:08 pm

ernie1958 wrote:8-) One thing I forgot to mention though,or maybe I overread something in an earlier post...does the Sliders '59 set have
Alnico 3 or 5 pole magnets? I heard there is a difference in tonal response that can be defined in how much vintage "honk" they can
reproduce...
This could also be a very important factor for trying to achieve the sound we want for a particular time period, say 50's 0r 60's...
Btw..I've never heard of remagnetising old pickups..only getting them rewound if necessary.. :shock:

Cheers,
Ernie

You really need to contact Rod to get the answers to these questions, he's the expert. I did the demos, you heard them and can decide whether or not they would improve your game. Whatever analyisis or opinions here are, they don't matter as it's in the ear of the beholder. These pickups make the guitar sound like a new '59 - simples. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:19 pm

As I did these demos on my '63 Strat but with an Alan Brason maple neck and fingerboard, I noted some of the comments and refitted the original rosewood veneer neck to make a comparison with the sound. I have began recording the same tunes and for those interested will post them on my 4shared site when they're finished. I can tell you that the sound is still excellent, though as expected slightly warmer - more obvious on some tracks than others. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Previous

Return to Sound Files and Video Clips