Burns Update

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Burns Update

Postby Billyboygretsch » Thu May 06, 2021 6:38 pm

Designs have been approved for a number of models. Seems to be updated favourites. Unlikely to be launched until 2022. I’ll update as and when I hear. Not much stock of existing models in U.K. but Spens guitars seem to have stocks
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Re: Burns Update

Postby Teflon » Thu May 06, 2021 10:30 pm

Sounds interesting - at least things seem to be moving. I guess Covid will have derailed many of their plans, so a 2022 launch is perhaps not entirely surprising. No idea which models have been approved I suppose?

I wonder what "updated designs" means. Plenty to speculate on until the launch at least :D

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby Billyboygretsch » Mon May 10, 2021 1:52 pm

I get the feeling that design wise many are existing models Updates mainly in electrics and vibratos from what I can gather. Mainly models 60 - 66
Billyboygretsch

Postby Teflon » Mon May 10, 2021 6:36 pm

There's a lengthy interview (1.5 hrs +) with Lee Anderton on Youtube. I watched it all with interest, but sadly, he made no mention of the Burns acquisition. To be fair, the interview was aimed at how he transformed Andertons music, so it was to be expected.

Still an interesting interview though, and Lee seems to have his head "screwed on" when it comes to business, so hopefully Burns London is in safe hands. :)

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby Billyboygretsch » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:20 am

Seems most of the early Burns models will be resurrected. Artist de Luxe, Bison, GB66, Vista The scroll headstock is still around. Hoping to get more info over next couple of weeks
Billyboygretsch

Postby Martyn » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:47 am

See Andertons now showing new Burns Marquees on their website at £499 in various colour ways.No mention of any other models as yet.
Martyn

Full Real Name: Martyn Welch

Postby Billyboygretsch » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:58 pm

Barry’s last order been delivered.
Billyboygretsch

Postby HAIRY » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:47 am

If Anderson were to consult an expert in branding about the future of the Burns they might well suggest they need to broaden the appeal of the brand for a wider audience in order to ensure a longterm future, when they relaunch the brand.

The continuation of making products from their old catalogue with Fender style vibratos has been done to death and may not achieve the objective.

Though Jim Burns was faced with starting his business from ground zero in the early 1960s and was not revitalising a tired brand, there are lessons to be learned from his approach. He set himself the task of developing a 'flagship' guitar. For this, he drew inspiration from both Fender and Gibson and developed a guitar offering a wider range of features and benefits than any other in the market. The result: 1961 4 pickup Burns Black Bison.

The 4 pickup Bison may not have been a commercial success and some claim there was room for improvement, however these 49 handmade guitars were novel and innovative and achieved the objective: to establish the Burns brand and create a platform for future sales.

It is all credit to Jim Burns (with years of help from Barry Gibson) that his inspired launch and his inspired guitars are still talked about 60 years later.

With this in mind, Anderson's might follow Jim's example and kick things off with a limited batch of equally novel and innovative 'flagship' guitars.
HAIRY

Full Real Name: Harry Ellis

Postby George Geddes » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:33 pm

Glasgow branch of GuitarGuitar has a display of RH & LH Marquees in various colours, plus one Double Six

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby Billyboygretsch » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:42 am

Yes they are from an old outstanding Alan Entwistle order from last year. No news on new product
Billyboygretsch

Return to Burns