Signs of Life at Burns

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Signs of Life at Burns

Postby Billyboygretsch » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:45 am

Has anyone anything concrete on a launch of a Marvin or indeed any Burns model ? Close on to 18 months since BG left the scene
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Re: Signs of Life at Burns

Postby dave robinson » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:18 pm

I doubt there will be a Marvin because there will be be money to pay out to use the name if Brian Goode has anything to do with it.
There could be a re make of the Legend though, but who wants them ? I like my Marvin to look at but rarely play it because of it's clumsiness.
Some may be interested to know that my 'go to' guitar is my Burns Brian May if it's complete versatility I need. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Teflon » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:55 pm

dave robinson wrote:............I like my Marvin to look at but rarely play it because of it's clumsiness.
Some may be interested to know that my 'go to' guitar is my Burns Brian May if it's complete versatility I need. :)

Interesting how people can differ in their preferences. I've had a Strat for some 40 years - it's a very nice example, but since getting my Burns Apache, it never gets played. I just love the feel and action of the Rezotube "whammy bar" and find it so much nicer to use that the Fender variant. My "go to" guitar is now my 2018 re-issue Marvin, which was sold at a discount as it's the wrong colour (should be white, but it's a lovely deep shade of cream). On the other hand, I recently took the Marvin round to show to a musician friend. He's a devout Fender player through and through, but loved playing the Burns. He hated it's looks though!

I'd love to hear something positive from the new owners, even if the guitars themselves aren't launched for a few more months. I find myself constantly looking at a "trans blue" Dream guitar the Spens has for sale, but would hate to spend the money only for the new owners to produce something equally as beautiful.

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby Billyboygretsch » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:18 am

You might have quite a wait. I’ve not seen anything encouraging and only negatives in terms of manufacture. Alan Entwistle would have had this up and running by now. But the new owners know best
Billyboygretsch

Postby Teflon » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:58 pm

Have to admit, the waiting got too much and I bought the guitar from Spens. That's at least one order the new owners have lost.

I agree about Alan Entwistle, and am honestly struggling to understand the silence from the new owners. Andertons did a Youtube video recently, showing off the last batch from China. In the video, Lee Anderton said they had been working closely with Burns fans to plan the way ahead. I'd be interested to know who these "fans" are, as no-one I know has heard a dicky bird.

Cliff
Teflon

Postby Billyboygretsch » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:48 pm

I’ve recently heard that a Marvin will be launched quarter 3/4. The vibrato has been revised and improved apparently.There will be 3 other revised models launched towards the end of the year. However it is a small operation and will possibly be dependant on the success of the revised models. I’m not convinced there is a large market for a new Marvin but just a personal opinion
Billyboygretsch

Postby Teflon » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:06 pm

Thanks for the update. I wonder just what "revised" means - I hope they haven't strayed too far from the traditional Rezotube design.

I think a new Marvin could succeed with the right marketing, but I suspect it's unlikely (much as I love them). They will need a strong reason for buyers to target them over a Strat, otherwise they will be reliant on the Shadows connection, and that is sadly a diminishing market.

Cliff
Teflon

Postby Billyboygretsch » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:11 am

The vibrato has be changed to perform better ? but looks the same. U.K. made initially.
Billyboygretsch

Postby Teflon » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:49 pm

Good to know The Marvin will likely be returning. Is Eddie Cross involved in any way, or have they sourced an entirely new supply of scratch plates I wonder.

Cliff
Teflon

Postby Billyboygretsch » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:11 pm

Eddie and I will be visiting the new facility near York in late September. I’ll ask some questions and post replies
Billyboygretsch

Next

Return to Burns