Bridge block for Marquee?

Anything about Burns guitars

Bridge block for Marquee?

Postby dunc27b » 10 Jul 2011, 11:32

Hi folks, I recently purchased a used Burns Marquee which I am very happy with apart from the Tremolo arm which is slack due to worn threads in the bridge block.
I prefer a "drop in " type tremolo Which I fitted to my Strat (Wilkinson), does anyone know where I can get a good quality steel block to fit the Burns(It's a Burns tremolo unit, not point tech)? I cant find a Wilkinson unit, and I dont think the block from a wilkinson Strat trem would fit.
I would very much appreciate any advice.
Best wishes. Duncan.
dunc27b

Re: Bridge block for Marquee?

Postby JimN » 10 Jul 2011, 12:23

Duncan,

Is your Marquee the newer type with the knife edge pivot against a block screwed to the body in front of the bridge? Or the older "Point Technologies" type with the two cone-shaped pivots inside the cavity?

If the latter, I have the complete assembly here doing nothing and you could swap over whatever parts you needed. However, the block and arm are of the push-in type and so my guess is that you have the newer knife-edge model if that has a screw-in arm.

By the way, there are other ways of repairing a worn out thread in the block - and very cheap and effective too.

JN
JimN

Postby dunc27b » 10 Jul 2011, 17:04

Hi Jim,Yes, my bridge is the newer "knife edge" type. do you think the blocks would be interchangeable?
If so, I would be very happy to pay you for your bridge assembley.
Perhaps someone else knows for certain if I can use the older type block?
Regards. Duncan.
dunc27b

Postby johnto » 11 Jul 2011, 19:53

Hi Duncan

The screw-in trem arm on my Marquee "S" model became loose in the trem block too. On the recommendation of a guitarist friend I bought some plumber's PTFE thread tape and wrapped some around the threaded section of the trem arm and, hey-presto, it now screws in perfectly - nice and firm and stays in place nicely.

I'm told that Strat players have been using PTFE tape for years to "firm-up" their trem arms.

Hope this helps!
All the best
John
johnto

Postby dunc27b » 11 Jul 2011, 21:45

Hi John, Thanks for your post. I am aware of the ptef tape fix, but I find it does not last long, and I really prefer a drop in tremolo anyway.
I have actually fitted a small piece of heatshrink tubing which seems to be holding it tight for the moment, so it is usable.
Thanks again.
best wishes. Duncan.
dunc27b

Return to Burns