Bison 64

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Bison 64

Postby Mikey » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:24 pm

I have a hankering for this Burns Bison 64 currently on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281459422125? ... EBIDX%3AIT

It has been relisted having had no takers first time round - possibly because it's collection only but that's not a problem for me as I live in Bristol. There's no case with it which is a shame but I can always get one.
In the past I had a Marquee which I sold to fund my MIM HM Signature strat but I really like Burns and still have my Double Six.
I understand that the Bison 64 has been discontinued and there don't seem to be many up for sale.
If anyone here has one of these I'd be very interested to have your thoughts - pros and cons. It won't take much to persuade me to bid for this and so far I'd be the only bidder.
As ever, I'd be grateful for your views.
Mikey

Re: Bison 64

Postby Ian Miller » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:21 pm

Hi Mike,

Sorry only just seen your posting.
They are nice and this one is reasonably priced as I believe they around £500 now new. Do bear in mind they are quite big and quite heavy, if I remember rightly!
If I had the money I would go for it so If it fits you ,buy it!
Best Wishes
Ian
Ian Miller

Full Real Name: Ian Miller

Postby Ian Miller » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:28 pm

Hi Again Mike,

Something I forgot to mention is that the scale length is 24.75'' as opposed to the normal Strat SC of 25.5''! (The same as Gibson guitars). Having had experience of these guitars in their original guise they dp play and sound great.

Regards

Ian
Ian Miller

Postby Mikey » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:39 pm

Hi Ian

Many thanks for your helpful comments. The D6 I have is big bodied plus I have an Epi LP which is pretty heavy so not too concerned about those aspects. The Bison 64 seems to be becoming hard to find and, as you say, the price seems reasonable - there's another on eBay for £500.
Think I'll have a go for it!
Cheers.
Mikey

Postby Ian Miller » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:23 pm

OK Mike, best of luck. If you get it let me know what you think of it.

Best Wishes

Ian
Ian Miller

Postby Mikey » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:32 pm

I did eventually buy the aforementioned Bison 64 Anniversary model and paid £275 for it which I reckon was a bargain as it is in mint condition and had hardly been played. The guy had retired (like me) and bought it thinking he might learn to play but. never got into it. A common tale and a great source of second hand but little used instruments!
Here are a few pics although most of you know what they look like!

2014-10-030.jpg
(66.31 KiB) Downloaded 12626 times

I plugged it in tonight for a little play around and although it plays beautifully (I don't!) and the sound is unmistakably Burns I find the Rezotube tremolo system rather disappointing and wonder if some adjustment might be necessary although visually all looks to be as it should. When you depress the tremolo arm all you get is a slight "shimmering strings" effect but nothing like the very definite pitch change and return like I get on my MIM Strat. Also, there is hardly any response when the lever is pulled upwards as there seems to be some play in the arm. I'm assuming the nut securing it can be tightened with an allen key?
I expected the Burns to be different and I never have wanted to "dive bomb" but to say the effect is subtle is an understatement. Is it just a case that the Burns trem is quite different from the Strat and that the effect is less obvious or should there be a more definite response?
Difficult to answer I know without seeing or hearing it but, as always, any thoughts/views gratefully received.
Mikey

Postby kevinr » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:33 pm

The Burns trem is a great piece of work, it may need to be set up correctly! when adjusted it will be touch sensitive, I much prefer them to the Strat style unit.
kevinr

Full Real Name: kevin ryan

Postby Ian Miller » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:57 pm

Hi Mikey,

Congrats on your new guitar.

At the top of this Burns Guitar section you will see a topic entitled 'Marvin/Legend adjustment guide'.
The info covers the adjustment of the bridge & trem which also applies to this model Bison, as it is identical to the Marvin and Legend models trem unit.
The main difference is the truss rod adjustment which on yours is done at the head, under the triangular cover plate.
Hope this helps.

Best Wishes

Ian
Ian Miller

Postby Mikey » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:22 pm

Thanks guys.
I've printed off the pfd file and if necessary will get my regular luthier to have a look at it.
Mikey

Postby Mikey » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:14 pm

Something else I meant to mention was the position of the jack socket which seems very awkwardly placed, in the middle of the line of control knobs rather than at the far end out of the way. It means using s lead with an angled jack plug or you keep knocking it. Well I do anyway!
Mikey

Next

Return to Burns