Burns Marvin sound

Anything about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, JimN, George Geddes

Re: Burns Marvin sound

Postby dave robinson » 08 Apr 2014, 00:37

hansaustria wrote:In our "ARTRIO SHADOWS" we have a set of 1 vintage MARVIN & 1 LEGEND & vintage BASS ! Hear the sound, I`m very satisfied !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCU2Xgtkh7A ( rehearsal / 1. take ) - AC 30 CC

And on our promovideo ( SHINDIG - on a BURNS ?? !! ) - AC 30 / 68 vintage ! ( from 4:16 on )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFZZ4rsGuvs

When I will have a Video from Blue Sky; Blue Sea, I will post it ...... sounds great !

Hans

I agree Hans, good sound all round and a good little band - only one gripe from me though, the bass needs a tort scratchplate, it's what it was and looks 'wrong' to me in white. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby hansaustria » 08 Apr 2014, 14:24

Dave, you are right, but the bassguitar is to 100 % original, not resprayed - it`s a 1964 model in
very good condition for a fifty years old instrument.

Regards
Hans
hansaustria

Postby piecrusty » 08 Apr 2014, 19:01

Hi Dave and Hans,

Assuming that we are talking about the Fender precision bass in the video, I kind of think you are both right! Certainly in my experience the scratchplate colour could go either way but it would have to be a torty to match the 1961 red line up of the shads. When I acquired my Vintage re issue 1962 P bass with rosewood neck it did in fact come with a white scratchplate, and at the time was advertised by fender with said white scratchplate as standard. I know that I very soon bought a replacement torty scratchplate and swapped them over to give the authentic look of the early line up. The white scratchplate ended up on my '78 Fender P bass which has a maple neck as this arrangement was characteristic of the shads later line up. IMO the white scratchplate looks best with the maple neck and the torty does suit the rosewood. So is it possible that originally Jets red bass came from fender with a white scratchplate and for some reason it was decided to change it to torty just so that the bass would maybe stand out slightly against the strats on stage? Just a thought. Some years ago when the fantastic Hoss Van Hardeveld came over to Shaddicts for several weeks from Holland he brought his original 1962 Fender P bass and I had the pleasure of playing it and looking at it closely, this had a torty scratchplate fitted and Hoss was adamant that it came like this from fender originally. So either way could be right! The one thing I do remember about Hoss's bass was that the the torty plate seemed to have more of a lighter and redder coloured background to it than the torty plates you get now which seem darker, there was certainly a difference in hue when I compared mine directly next to Hoss's.

Interesting, so if Jets plate was changed from white I wonder why? :?

Cheers,
Mark.
piecrusty

Postby Icarus » 10 Apr 2014, 18:27

Thanks to everybody for the answers.
Icarus

Postby JimN » 10 Apr 2014, 18:45

piecrusty wrote:... if Jets plate was changed from white I wonder why? :?
Cheers,
Mark.

It wasn't changed.

Fiesta Red, Olympic White and sunburst Precision Basses and Jazz Basses all came with tortoiseshell scratchplates as standard.

Of the four* finishes which landed in the UK, only Sonic Blue examples came with white scratchplates.

This is well-known, and was explained by Dave Robinson a few weeks ago.

JN

[* The four finishes mentioned above seem to have been the only ones imported by Jennings. Selmer only listed red and sunburst. We never saw Candy Apple red, Lake Placid Blue, Shoreline Gold, etc. Or black.]
JimN

Postby dave robinson » 10 Apr 2014, 19:53

I got my hands on a Vox AC30vr today and brought it home to check out. I tried the Strat through the eTap Eccamatic and immediately heard the desired and recognised tones that we all love. It works slightly different to my Top Boost AC 30 but it is easy to compensate and match the tones with a bit of twiddling.
Tomorrow I will retrieve my Burns Marvin from it's hiding place and attempt to geat the typical Marvin sound which was the subject of this thread - I look forward to the challenge. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby ErikMAMS » 11 Apr 2014, 06:32

dave robinson wrote:I got my hands on a Vox AC30vr today and brought it home to check out. I tried the Strat through the eTap Eccamatic and immediately heard the desired and recognised tones that we all love. It works slightly different to my Top Boost AC 30 but it is easy to compensate and match the tones with a bit of twiddling.
Tomorrow I will retrieve my Burns Marvin from it's hiding place and attempt to geat the typical Marvin sound which was the subject of this thread - I look forward to the challenge. :)

Dave,
Just wanted to say - never mind the AC30vr, it's good to hear you're able to play again and take on other/musical challenges :)

All the best
Erik
ErikMAMS

Postby cockroach » 11 Apr 2014, 11:23

Good on yer Dave...good to hear you are improving health wise!

Regarding Precision basses, my dear old mate the bass player has an original early '60's Fender P bass which he got new in 1964 along with a Fender Bass VI- teh P bass is fiesta red with a WHITE scratchplate (now faded to that odd pale green colour)- but this is in Australia not the UK...maybe we got different types here.

Wonder what happened to all those early Marvin prototypes ?
cockroach

Postby dave robinson » 11 Apr 2014, 12:37

ErikMAMS wrote:
dave robinson wrote:I got my hands on a Vox AC30vr today and brought it home to check out. I tried the Strat through the eTap Eccamatic and immediately heard the desired and recognised tones that we all love. It works slightly different to my Top Boost AC 30 but it is easy to compensate and match the tones with a bit of twiddling.

Dave,
Just wanted to say - never mind the AC30vr, it's good to hear you're able to play again and take on other/musical challenges :)

All the best
Erik

Thanks Erik, I'm not quite there with the playing just yet, the fingers are still painful but I can struggle out a tune, which this time last week was unthinkable. It's a slow process but this is helping me overcome it and keeping me busy. At the moment I am able to sit with the guitar on my lap and twiddle around with the echo and amp, then if there's any recordings to be made I can get one of the lads to play for me while I attend to the recording side of it. 8-)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » 11 Apr 2014, 17:33

Well here we are again after a session playing with the Burn Marvin, eTap2 and Vox AC30vr.
Having had half an hour doodling around with the Burns and seemingly obtaining a decent Burns/Shads sound, I got my friend Steve to play some relevant tunes i.e. Flingel Bunt, It's A Mans World etc and definitely heard the signature sound associated with that kit, enough so that I bought the amp as back-up. What I would say is that this amp doesn't give the same compression as a standard AC30, but that is easily remedied by using an FX pedal that has compression built in.
All in all the Vox AC30 vr is great for the old Strat/Shads sounds and almost cock on for Burns lovers. For the money, even at the brand new shop price it's a no brainer. For those wanting something lighter and quieter, the Vox AC15 vr is just as good.
The price of a new VoxAC30vr in our local store is £330 and the AC15 around £250 ish. Recommended for the core sound. :thumbup:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

PreviousNext

Return to Burns