Fender like guitars.?

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Fender like guitars.?

Postby wattybluesman » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:55 am

Hi Guys,

At the beginning of the sixties I got a myself a Futurama / Grazioso guitar it's laying upstairs in the loft.

At some point in time I must have taken the instrument to bits .

It has no strings,the rocker switches are in a plastic box,one of the pickups has become detached from the scratch plate .(They were glued into position.)

The question - Does anybody out there know where I can get a wiring diagram?

Watty.
wattybluesman

Re: Fender like guitars.?

Postby RayL » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:46 am

A circuit diagram shouldn't be a problem - pickups, pots, switches and sockets go together in a logical fashion so a circuit diagram can be offered from a distance. Translating that into a wiring diagram is tricky because it relies on the physical layout of the components and this is best done 'on the spot', with everything available (including the guitar body).

Can you work from a circuit diagram or do you definitely need a wiring diagram?

Ray L
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby JimTidmarsh » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:35 am

JimTidmarsh

Full Real Name: Jim Tidmarsh

Postby wattybluesman » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:08 am

Hi Ray

Thanks for the reply,and yes I can work from a circuit diagrams.
However I've also noticed amongst the bits and pieces there seems to be bits missing with the rocker(pick-up selectors)switches.

IE there is nothing underneath the switches to connect for switching off and on there may have been little brass plates and tiny springs? but I just can't remember.

So what I've got is a scratch plate with 2 x p/ups still attached neck and middle,so it's logical to assume they'd go to the switches nearest the neck and middle with the bridge p/up wired to the rocker nearest the control knobs.So what I've got is 1 x p/up laying with bits of wire everywhere 2 x control knobs about the size of 50p pieces.1 brass rod that goes through the rocker switches Rosewood neck and a body and original case.
:?: It's really the bits and pieces that's missing I'm worried about.I was hoping someone somewhere maybe had a down side up picture of the scratch plate.

Again many thanks for taking an interest.

Watty Robertson.

P.S I can't even remember what the guitar sounded like but I do remember when playing the guitar it was so easy to hit the p/up selector switches by mistake really cramped your style.
wattybluesman

Postby RayL » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:43 am

If you want a guitar that looks like the original and that can be played, why not compromise a little? How about putting the guitar back together again, but with the rocker switches as decoration? Glue the third pickup back in place on the plate, then wire the working pickups directly to the volume and tone controls.

This way you'll have a guitar that looks and sounds like the original. OK, you won't have the full range of tones, but you'll be able to 'get back to the sixties sound' and it'll look nice hanging on the wall!

Ray L
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Return to Burns