The tale of the fixed bridge Burns Sonic..

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, George Geddes, JimN, dave robinson

The tale of the fixed bridge Burns Sonic..

Postby burnsbonkers » 20 Feb 2015, 16:38

If you are all scratching you're heads thinking what the hell the title is about, then I'll fill you in about something that for a long time has always had me thinking.
I went with a mate to this bands house in the mid 90s. the members in the band where a lot older than myself.....I was only 15.
They loved vintage 60s stuff, and they had all these old guitars and amps. One of the guys had an original vox phantom that he bought for like £30 ! ( nobody wanted stuff like that in the late 80s when he got it).
There was one though that stuck in my head (obviously!) and subsequently steered me in the direction of vintage guitars, namely Burns!.

It was a tiny Burns sonic!. 2 pickups, see through red finish, black neck .
The thing is this one had NO vibrato whatsoever, and there was no sign of one ever been fitted.
Thinking back, now I know a lot more about vintage Burns - maybe I was looking at an Artiste?.
No.....I clearly remember it saying on the headstock "Burns Sonic model London".
The bridge was IDENTICAL to an Artiste though, no doubt about it. I clearly remember sliding the bridge cover back and seeing the bent metal saddles with screws holding them all in place.
I played it for a while, it was really nice, with a lovely neck. A far cry from my crappy Strat copy.

So somewhere, there is a fixed bridge / hardtail sonic floating around. I've tried to find those guys since, but they're all probably working in a garden center nowadays.

Any one know or seen another like that?.

I'm guessing it was either a customer request, or one day they simply ran out of vibratos....???.
burnsbonkers

Return to Burns