Burns & Baldwin Serial Numbers

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Burns & Baldwin Serial Numbers

Postby dusty fretz » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:06 pm

I'm currently involved in creating for a friend an accurate replica of a unique Burns oldie, and this project has also opened some interesting new avenues of research regarding Britain's best-known guitar builder. These fresh lines of inquiry have in turn indicated the need for a comprehensive list of Burns and Baldwin serial numbers, which is something I now realise I could've and should've amassed many years ago, although until very recently such a record wasn't really regarded as a priority. However, better late than never, I'm finally making a determined effort to compile a complete database of those Burns and Baldwin guitars and basses that display visible serial numbers, produced between 1961 and 1970. I realise this exercise must seem somewhat sad and more than a mite train spotter-like, but I know the end results will prove useful in practical terms.

I would therefore welcome any contributions to this particular personal cause from any board members who still own such instruments, or who've thoughtfully retained the necessary information regarding relevant previous possessions. I need to know the full serial number, the make (Burns or Baldwin), actual model, type (guitar or bass) and special features (transition example, custom colour, left-hand etc.) if any. In addition, the date often found on the underside of the scratchplate would also be beneficial, if known, as it provides an indicator (albeit approximate) to instrument age.

May I express in advance my appreciation to those who can indeed assist me in the task of collating this very specific piece of the past concerning the UK's most prominent and prolific electric guitar manufacturer.
dusty fretz

Re: Burns & Baldwin Serial Numbers

Postby JimN » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:24 pm

Burns Marvin.
Scratchplate date (underside): February 1965.
Serial Number: 10353.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby RayL » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:20 am

Baldwin 712T 70885

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby George Geddes » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:35 am

Baldwin Marvin 72472
Baldwin Shadows bass 19969

Not sure about the bass, though. It may have had the plate missing and I recollect buying one on eBay...

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby JimN » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:21 pm

It'd be a good idea to post your request in the Burns Guitars Facebook group, Paul.

JN

STOP PRESS: Oh, it's OK. I see Bill Lovegrove has already done it!
JimN

Postby dusty fretz » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:18 pm

Hi Jim,
I realised that Facebook would be an obvious place to seek the assistance I need, but THIS message board is really about as much as I want to be involved with the internet. Instead, as you've noticed, I've had 'my man' do it for me, i.e. Bill has very kindly volunteered to make all the necessary moves and be my willing and far more able 'go between'.

On a related theme, I feel I should apologise for not realising that some owners might be uncomfortable about publicly displaying details of their instruments on here. If this is the case, then of course they can instead send me the info via an appropriate PM.
dusty fretz

Postby dusty fretz » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:27 pm

George Geddes » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:35 am
Baldwin Marvin 72472
Baldwin Shadows bass 19969

Not sure about the bass, though. It may have had the plate missing and I recollect buying one on eBay...

George

Hi George,
Thanks for these additions. Just to be picky, please could you tell me if the Marvin's serial number has a comma after the 72, i.e. 72,472. If so, this implies it was originally allocated for use on the Baldwin '700' series of semi-acoustics.
dusty fretz

Postby George Geddes » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:50 pm

No problem, Paul.

I'll get it out the bank vault tomorrow. Actually, I lied about the bank vault...

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby dusty fretz » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:41 pm

Thanks George, and while you're at it, you say you might've bought a new neckplate for the Shadows bass, so please can you check the material used for this example. If it's a tortoisehell laminate, then this and the number would indicate it was originally intended to go on a Virginian.
dusty fretz

Postby JimN » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:03 am

I've just realised that my Burns Marvin has just had its fiftieth birthday a few weeks ago.

My Fender Electric XII is fifty next year.
JimN

Next

Return to Burns