Burns Marquee Advice Please

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Burns Marquee Advice Please

Postby Billyboygretsch » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:57 pm

image.jpg
(77.52 KiB) Downloaded 10347 times
It depends on what you are trying to achieve with the guitar. There are many models to choose from. The most common / popular is the one based on the Marvin looks with Rez o Matik - almost fender pick ups. I have and like the Marquee S which has a photo flame top body and neck binding and gold hardware, this was based on the Marvin S
The latest in this range are the MR2 MR3 which employ two Alan Entwistle Humbuckers with the MR3 employing a middle single coil. Both guitars have coil tap configurations. I have pictures and a lot more info on these if interested PM me your email and I will send
Attachments
image.jpg
(98.26 KiB) Downloaded 10347 times
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Postby RayL » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:22 pm

Jay,
Quite a few differences. As stated above, the Batwing is a Marquee with a different headstock. The Cobra is intentionally closer to the Stratocaster shape, with a symetrical lower bout, whereas the Marquee/Batwing and all the other Marvin variations have an asymmetric lower bout. The Marquee/Batwing have Rez-o-matic pickups, whereas the Cobra uses miniature Tri-sonics. The Marquee/Batwing have a jack socket mounted on the main control plate, whereas the Cobra has a separate angled 'Strat' jack socket. And so on.

(Bill and I must have been writing at the same time)
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Jay Bass » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:29 pm

Hi Thanks for The info
i didnt realise there was so much difference between the Batwing And the cobra
ref the marquee, i bought one when they first appeared around 1999 a lovely white / maple / Tort/ gold.
it was a nice guitar as i remember . i cant remember what happened to it, i probably part ex it for something else ,(as You do)
i do seem to remeber at the time i was using a jap strat , but actually prefered the Burns.

regards
Jay
Jay Bass

Full Real Name: Jay Van Harte

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:48 pm

Rover wrote:I don't think you can go wrong with a Burns marquee.
regards Rover

I remember a lot of enthusiasm on our previous site when the Marquee came out. Most people were delighted although I do recall one or two "Friday afternoon" guitars. These were fixable and David M had useful advice to offer. Shame I can't post links to the old threads!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby scmitche » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:24 pm

Hi,
I have a 1999 Black/Pearl Marquee and it's still in pristine condition despite lots of playing. The only issue I had was with the original Burns "Point Classic" tremolo but this was solved by fitting the genuine USA article and has never given trouble since. I believe the modern Burns tremolo design is fine by all accounts.

The "icing on the cake" for me was when I followed Dave Robinson's advice and fitted a set of AlNiCo Texas Special pickups, which turned this guitar into something "special". Everyone who hears or plays it comments on the sound quality.

As for the chunky neck profile it's something you get so used to that it almost feels almost un-natural when you pick up a Strat to play.
I love the "scroll" because its British and so James Ormston Burns, it gives a touch of class compared to all the USA copies you see.
The only other serious modification I have done was to copper foil screen all the body cavities because the club we play in has some modern low energy lighting, which can give interference "hum". Now reduced to zero for just a few pounds and a little extra work while fitting the new pickups.

I have several good guitars but this is the one I want to play the most.

Regards,
Steve
scmitche

Full Real Name: Steve Mitchell

Postby bridev » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:36 pm

Interesting points guys, it has given me something to think about. When the Marvin first came out I wasn't impressed with the scroll headstock but it has grown on me. Thanks for the info.

Cheers
Brian.
The older the fiddler the sweeter the tune
bridev

Full Real Name: brian devlin

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:20 pm

The scroll is visually attractive (or not). As a means of tuning the guitar I think it's more fiddly than a Fender, but not a problem.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:55 pm

Somebody a few posts up mentioned the Cobra. I have to say, look carefully at it if you are offered one as changed the design recently. I've had two, a 2009 one which was lovely and a 2013 which wasn't so good. There is now a scarf joint in the neck, the head is angled back slightly to preserve string tension over the nut and the string guides have gone, and an ugly black plastic truss rod cover has been added. There's also a zero fret now - I know some people like those but it does take it away from the Strat design slightly. some of the hardware is of lower quality too. Perhaps they've changed manufacturers.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Previous

Return to Burns