Baldwin Marvin 'prototypes' used on 67 Australian tour

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Baldwin Marvin 'prototypes' used on 67 Australian tour

Postby bor64 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:22 pm

Billyboygretsch wrote:

I think I've missed something here. This is the first I've heard that the Burns book was incorrect with the number of S models produced. I understood from the book there were 2 Green ones the only difference being the name on the lower horn plate. There was 1 White one which was returned because the neck was warped.
You are now stating there were 4 "S" 2 Green 2 White - never heard this before ! Do you have any pictures
What happened to the "S" bass

Hi Bill,
In the Burns book of 79 you can see pictures of both green Marvin MK2 and they wrote 1 white one was made....
So when you can easily see the shad had two Marvin MK2 in white on the Ausie tv, the only logical conclusion is, the Burns book is not correct with the info as is....
As far as I know there was never a MK2 bass made....
Paul Day stated that some of info of the first book is kinda 'out dated" because there is a lot more known in the time from publishing till now....
The Marvin S I was revering to, were the ones made by Barry Gibson Burns London...
Remember early in the second part of the 80"s there where quite a few "new" Burns Marvin's made and sold by some as "original oldies" in showroom condition.....

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby Billyboygretsch » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:12 pm

Hi Rob
In the Burns book I believe the picture is of the 2 Green ones. They both have 3 piece plates 5 way selectors and trems. The white one had no tremolo and had a rotary switch and 3 piece plate according to the book. These are two different shots in different light but show the different nameplates on the lower horn.
The ones in the video certainly show 2 white versions but both have single piece scratchplates and both appear to have the rotary controls and as far as I can see tremolos although Bruce's does not seem to have arm - difficult to see.. I believe they are different versions of the "S" to those shown in the Burns Book
In 1967 I'm not sure who would be doing development work on the Marvin - perhaps they were old bodies with Bison type controls ?
Watch this space
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Postby bor64 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:08 am

Hi Bill,

Once again it's easy to see there are more white Marvin MK2 or S made by Burns/Baldwin as stated in the 1979 book, because they wrote just one was made ....
The writing about that white one is of a non trem version, which on it's own has little reason to exist for obvious reasons....
Paul Day has stated more then one time, the info in the 1979 book isn't what it would be if he could re-publish it again now days.

Your guessing about old bodies ....well that I leave it to you....
I only keep it to facts, 2 green on photo's and 2 whites on film and the story both whites where scraped ....maybe that's why the whites are not in the pearls and crazy diamonds book...

So perhaps it's now a good time to bring that "just one white MK2 S Marvin made" to bed now, perhaps??

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby Billyboygretsch » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:38 pm

Pics of the White one
Attachments
IMG_4070.JPG
(42.57 KiB) Downloaded 4921 times
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove