Baldwin Marvin 'prototypes' used on 67 Australian tour

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Baldwin Marvin 'prototypes' used on 67 Australian tour

Postby AlanMcKillop » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:47 pm

I'm sure I posted this info some time ago, but from a conversation with Bruce Welch a number of years ago, it was indeed a prototype which was used in the Far East for a couple of tours. Although the TV shows were mimed, they did play them live but they didn't like them and he couldn't recollect why after the passage of time. He did say that when they returned to the UK, the guitars went back to Burns where the necks were removed and retained, and the bodies destroyed. That's as much as he could remember.
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby cockroach » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:06 am

Ah!

Thank you Alan!

Solves the mystery!

cheers
JOhn
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Billyboygretsch » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:12 am

SIGH !!!! Urban legends are hard to kill!!

The notation in that beloved early Burns book from 37 years ago is known to be a misstake.....
Sadly enough it's just copied by every publisher who doesn't do there homework properly!
Funny enough those wrong "facts" are defended by those same publishers.....
Hard to defend when you clearly can see that the shads use two whites on the telly and there are pictures of two green ones, which are different from each other, in condition and pick guard engraving.
The white ones were send back to the factory, because of faulty neck alignement and stability...

So to say in sesame street language ;) there where 4 guitars made !!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I've missed something here. This is the first I've heard that the Burns book was incorrect with the number of S models produced. I understood from the book there were 2 Green ones the only difference being the name on the lower horn plate. There was 1 White one which was returned because the neck was warped.
You are now stating there were 4 "S" 2 Green 2 White - never heard this before ! Do you have any pictures
What happened to the "S" bass
Last edited by Billyboygretsch on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Postby Billyboygretsch » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:29 am

I know there were 2 white guitars with no top horn plate but understood these were prototypes but not "S" prototypes. Would be interested to know the actual facts. The serial numbers of the "S" would indicate they are extremely early versions.
Billyboygretsch

Postby Moderne » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:03 am

(Even bigger sigh...)

Are we not talking about two different basic guitars: the Marvin 'S types (2x green - photographed in The Burns Book...no, I'd never heard that there was a mistake in the Burns Book either...and 1x white one...never been photographed to my knowledge) and the the one-piece-scratchplate four knob white Baldwin prototypes, made a couple of years later.

Incidentally, Gaz Coombes of Supergrass played one of the modern Burns replicas of a clear green Marvin 'S' (I say 'modern' - but that must be 20 years ago now!)
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby Billyboygretsch » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:07 am

That's what I believe . There seems to be some cross over/ confusion between the 3 Marvin S guitars and the 2 later prototypes on the Shadows later tours. Never seen any contradiction of PDs book regarding the S model. Still not heard what happened to the Shadows "S" Bass ?
Billyboygretsch

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:26 pm

A tiny bit of moderating if I may. The aim of this site is partly to share information and we have new members joining every week.

Let's not 'sigh' at each other. We don't all know the same things. If we did, there wouldn't be much point being here!

Thanks, I'll butt out now

Iain :)
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Billyboygretsch » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:27 pm

Well said Ian - the sharing of information is the important thing. We cannot all be experts on the subject and these type of comments may deter some from posting.
There is obviously quite an lot of confusion misunderstanding on this topic.
The Australian Tour I guess refers to the Baldwin ones with missing top horn plate and not the "S" models. Sorry if I added to any confusion
Billyboygretsch

Postby cockroach » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:40 pm

Oooh, 'eck!

I started this thread, didn't I ?!!

Sorry all! :D

p.s. It's been interesting reading all the same- even if some folk got a little exasperated!- thanks everyone!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:59 am

I have done a bit of minor editing to keep the thread peacefully on topic ...
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

PreviousNext

Return to Burns