Help with Vibraslim please?

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Help with Vibraslim please?

Postby Markeebee » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:24 pm

Hello new friends.

Sorry that my first post is an info request. I'm a bit of a gearhead and tweaker, build my own pedals and amps, so in return I hope to be able to help with queries in that area.

So, any road up, I just bought myself a Vibraslim. This:

In quite amazing condition for something around 50 years old. Wish I could say the same about myself. Plays like a dream. Wish I could say etc etc. Sounds great through an AC15.

However, all is not perfectly perfect. The pickup selector switch doesn't work properly, and the dual tone controls don't do a thing. I mean, you can turn them, but it doesn't have any discernible impact on the sound.

It has these lovely pickups which, unless I'm mistaken, are Bar O Matics:

Again, unless I'm mistaken, the neck pickup is a humbucker and one of the tone controls should progressively wind in the hum cancelling coil. Or something like that.

So, questions:

1. Can anybody point me at a schematic for the circuit, or shed any light at all? I'd like to fix it up, but it would be nice to have a an idea of what I'll find before I take everything apart.

2. Any ideas where I might be able to get a replacement switch? Probably I could get away with a standard pickup selector at a push, but the one that's fitted has a knurled shaft and no tip. Not a big deal, I guess, but it would be nice to keep it original-looking if possible.

3. Ever seen a black one? I don't think it's been refinished. If it has, it was done very very well a long long time ago. But I'm 99.9% certain it's original. And I've never seen a black one.

Thanks for your help, and I look forward to 'meeting' you.
Markeebee

Re: Help with Vibraslim please?

Postby David Martin » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:11 am

There is a very active and knowledgeable international group on Facebook who may well be able to help you... search for Burns Guitars and Amplifiers
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby JimN » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:59 pm

Let me make a calculated suggestion: removing the switch (unsoldering it and removing it from the guitar, having first carfully noted and photographed the wiring before unsoldering), then leaving it in a bath of Servisol or other contact cleaner for a day or two, then vigorously manipulating the switch through all of its positions a hundred times or more, followed by another hour in a switch-cleaner bath, should do the trick.

It certainly works with all cases of intermittent Burns slider switches I've encountered.

PS: you can get standard Gibson type switches with metal caps. A Gretsch switch (with screw-on cap) is even nearer in appearance.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby ErikMAMS » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:34 pm

Hi mark
The little I know about the Vibraslim (or the later Baldwin 548 which seems to be what you have) is the short description in the "Pearls & Crazy Diamonds" book.
If you don't have it already I can quote or make a scan of the short chapter.

Re an original switch - watch your PM

Erik
ErikMAMS

Postby Markeebee » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:19 am

JimN wrote:Let me make a calculated suggestion: removing the switch (unsoldering it and removing it from the guitar, having first carfully noted and photographed the wiring before unsoldering), then leaving it in a bath of Servisol or other contact cleaner for a day or two, then vigorously manipulating the switch through all of its positions a hundred times or more, followed by another hour in a switch-cleaner bath, should do the trick.

It certainly works with all cases of intermittent Burns slider switches I've encountered.

PS: you can get standard Gibson type switches with metal caps. A Gretsch switch (with screw-on cap) is even nearer in appearance.

Thanks Jim. I've removed the switch and found that its leaves are really badly worn. Definitely I'm gonna have to replace it rather than salvage it.

I've got a couple of Gretsch switch tips in the parts box, I was going to go that route but Erik seems to have found a kosher replacement. Kickass!
Markeebee

Postby Markeebee » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:21 am

ErikMAMS wrote:Hi mark
The little I know about the Vibraslim (or the later Baldwin 548 which seems to be what you have) is the short description in the "Pearls & Crazy Diamonds" book.
If you don't have it already I can quote or make a scan of the short chapter.

Re an original switch - watch your PM

Erik

Thank you very very very much for the PM. My day has been made. :D
Markeebee

Postby ErikMAMS » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:46 am

You're welcome. Keep us posted on your progress.

Erik
ErikMAMS

Return to Burns