Burns Ultrasound Bison Alan Entwistle responses

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Burns Ultrasound Bison Alan Entwistle responses

Postby Billyboygretsch » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:53 am

Alan Enrwistle has sent me a description of the new pick ups featured on the new Bison Ultrasound as below

Well they are in P90 covers, but they have alnico 5 rod magnets, a different wire gauge and DCR to most P90's, i suppose they are closer to a Jazzmaster pickup, than a P90.

He also spoke about the blade switch functions and control knobs which I posted on my other thread but I put here for convenience

No problem, the first switch (the one nearest the bridge) is a standard 5 way, the second switch however is a three way and is a tone switch: pos 1) is a bypass, pos 2) is the signal routed through a capacitance/inductance network, this gives the guitar a very smooth warm "Burns" sound (with still plenty of highs), and the pos 3) is "Wild Dog".
The pickups are standard Rezomatiks, although on a small number of Bison 64's that we produced about 18 months ago had Rezomatik noiseless.
The tone controls are also tweaked, the first tone control which operates on the neck and middle pickups, rolls back to a warm jazzy sound that is not as muddy as normal tone controls, the second tone control which operates on the bridge pickup rolls back to a high midrange, here again there still plenty of highs available, it tends to make the bridge or bridge and middle combined sound a bit like a humbucker, it is an excellent distortion smoother. The bridge tone also pulls up to engage the neck pickup as is standard with most Burns models these days.
The new Bison Ultrasound has the same circuitry.
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Return to Burns