Bison Bass review

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Bison Bass review

Postby RayL » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:29 pm

The May issue of Guitar & Bass magazine includes a one-page review of the reissue Bison Bass.
Bison Bass.JPG
Bison Bass.JPG (92.53 KiB) Viewed 13096 times

The author is Gareth Morgan and although I'd agree with most of the points in his review, his description of the circuitry sounds as if he's not traced out the circuit diagram from the practical diagram that Burns supply. He suggests that there is an out-of-phase setting when in fact all three pickups have their white (non-hot) wire grounded to screen and earth.

His comment on the weight is "a fraction on the heavy side". The quoted weight is 10.32 pounds, just over a pound heavier than a standard Precision. By comparison, my 2005 Bison Bass weighs 13 pounds. The difference must be in the wood (Indonesian Nato instead of the basswood which is listed for models of 2005 vintage). I wonder how much difference it makes to the sound?

The review says "comfortable whether playing standing or seated" but with the strap button opposite the 15th fret (as against the 12th on a Precision) it tends to be neck-heavy. I improved the situation by adding a second strap button to the North-East screw on the neck plate.

Notwithstanding these comments, a magnificent bass to look at with lots of good sounds.
Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Re: Bison Bass review

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:34 pm

13 lbs. Yes, my Rostill replica weighs in at something like that. Sounds just like him (well, it can if I play it right) but it does weigh you down for a whole gig.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby RayL » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:04 am

On The Shadows Last Tour, Hank had a guitar mounted on a special stand at playing height so that he could simply walk behind it, put his arms round and play without having to put a strap over his shoulder.

Maybe these weighty Burns basses like the Bison and the Rostill should have something similar, but for use during a whole gig rather than for part of a tune as Hank used his. Or a counterbalanced gallows arm to take the weight? (Not suitable for The Shadows Walk).
RayL

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:22 am

I am wondering about attaching a few helium balloons to mine. Great way to upstage the lead guitarist too.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby JimN » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:42 pm

RayL wrote:On The Shadows Last Tour, Hank had a guitar mounted on a special stand at playing height so that he could simply walk behind it, put his arms round and play without having to put a strap over his shoulder.

Maybe these weighty Burns basses like the Bison and the Rostill should have something similar, but for use during a whole gig rather than for part of a tune as Hank used his. Or a counterbalanced gallows arm to take the weight? (Not suitable for The Shadows Walk).

I don't recall that at all!

I do, however, remember that Bruce used a guitar on a "Gracie" stand for the sequence of Shads' tunes with acoustic rhythm guitar (including 36-24-36 with a capo across the third fret).

Hank did, of course, use one of those stands on at least one of his solo tours - and if I recall correctly, mainly for one of those tin-ear "tunes" from the "Hank Plays Holly" album, about three of which had melodies capable of making reasonable instrumentals.

A few months later, a guitarist did exactly the same trick with the same tune (to backing tracks) at the Shadowmania Friday night.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby RayL » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:49 am

Iain Purdon wrote:I am wondering about attaching a few helium balloons to mine. Great way to upstage the lead guitarist too.

Going wildly off-topic, one of the Great Inventions that I never got round to developing was helium-filled bubble-wrap - saves a fortune in postage costs.
RayL

Postby George Geddes » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:43 am

I think that was Darren Rutter, Jim.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:48 am

10.3 lbs is not heavy for a bass!

My current bass, a Les Paul, weighs 10.5 and the previous one (a Tokai copy of the same bass) was 9.5 and I used to think of that as quite light.

My Chinese fake Ricky 4003 also weighs 9.5 lbs, but I don't have any information for the genuine Rick it replaced. Probably a fair bit more!
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby DarrenRutter » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:15 pm

Hello, yea that was me, I first saw Hank use it on his tour and I used it for Travelling Light and a few others at Shadow Guitar Clubs, shows and Shadowmania. I made it myself not only one for acoustic guitar but also one for the strat with adjustments. I can easily make one
DarrenRutter

Return to Burns