Burns Apache Trem Problems

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Burns Apache Trem Problems

Postby guitarpicker » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:19 pm

I have a Burns Apache and have had constant problems in setting up the trem, I like a fixed trem that does not drop down and after one or two tunes it has worked itself loose so that I have to stop and tighten it up again. I do not want to use star washers etc as they will scratch the gold work and nylon ones last about 5 tunes till they work loose again. Has anyone got any suggestions or must my guitar live permamently in its guitar case while i use a stratacaster all the time.

Many Thanks

Dave
guitarpicker

Re: Burns Apache Trem Problems

Postby RayL » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:50 am

The problem is the bolt unscrewing itself, so use a dab of Loctite ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loctite ) to maintain the bolt at the correct tightness.
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby JimN » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:52 pm

RayL wrote:The problem is the bolt unscrewing itself, so use a dab of Loctite ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loctite ) to maintain the bolt at the correct tightness.

Agreed, though I would add (for the avoidance of doubt) that the nylon washers should be used.

There is a particular tension (not too tight, not too loose) where the arm will not unscrew and will be movable and operable without backlash. That's the way mine has been since 1972 at any rate.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby RogerCook » Sun May 01, 2016 9:03 am

I think I posted a pic of the mod I did on mine which was to replace the fibre washers with nylon ones and replace the 2 plain nuts with shallow 'nylocs'. I also used a slightly longer Allen screw to accommodate the different nuts. Not sure if these would be readily available in n gold though.

I can't find the pic unfortunately and I no longer have then guitar.
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Return to Burns