BURNS CUSTOM ELITE, Help please!!

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

BURNS CUSTOM ELITE, Help please!!

Postby geronimo7476 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:30 pm

Hi all Burns people! I hope some one can help. I have this Burns Custom Deluxe Shadows Elite guitar. It is Fiesta Red with white pearl 3ply scratch plate and gold hardwear.The body is 1/8th of an inch thinner than the 40th anniversary Marvin.
Although the neckplate is engraved 'Made in England' I have a serious guitar enthusiast saying that it was in fact made in China. I wrote to Barry Gibson who assures me that it was made in England, yet I can't get this sorted. My friend insists that it was made in China and 'assembled' in England. Can some one please help?
2015_0704.1Image0010.gif
(187.37 KiB) Downloaded 9471 times

Cheers CC
geronimo7476

Re: BURNS CUSTOM ELITE, Help please!!

Postby geronimo7476 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:34 pm

Hi, Me again, this is the photo I meamt to attach,
Cheers CC
2015_0923Image0001.gif
(223.05 KiB) Downloaded 9470 times
geronimo7476

Postby Rover » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:17 pm

Hi, I am sure this was made in England, and is worth a lot of money. Looks great.
Regards, Rover
Rover

Full Real Name: Roger Dyball

Postby RayL » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:34 am

Suggest to your 'serious guitar enthusiast' that he has a look at Dan MacPherson's website.
http://www.dm-guitars.co.uk
He is obviously not aware of Dan or the part that Dan has played in producing guitars for Barry. Check the 'Testimonials' section and look at some of the names.

Ray L
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby geronimo7476 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:36 pm

Thank you Rover and RayL, This is a tremendous help!! I've checked out Dan's site and am delighted to see the Burns Custom Elites in his 'UK' workshop!!
This is also for my own satisfaction as this is one really great guitar and I've never gigged it and don't think I will. I was fortunate enough to have it signed by The Shadows (Oct61-Apr62) incarnation, Hank, Bruce, Brian and Jet! (Photo attached)
SHADOWS-OCT61-APR62.gif
(235.36 KiB) Downloaded 9388 times

Thanks again, and any more info would really be welcome
Cheers CC
geronimo7476

Postby dave robinson » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:14 pm

Hi Charles, I too think that this is a British made instrument, this was possibly the unofficial fiesta red version of The Legend, which too was handcrafted in Britain. The red Burns that I have was introduced in 2005 and was built in China, with engraved signatures of Hank & Bruce on the trem plate, gold plated and with locking tuners. I notice that yours has the complete 'neck pocket' but the Chinese built 'Shadows' model had the normal Strat type neck fitting at the body, which was an 'improvement' that was featured midway through the production of the 2004 40th Anniversary Burns Marvins' - also built in China. I have both of these models and they are superb, Chinese built or not . . . . but I believe that yours is British built.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby geronimo7476 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:38 pm

Thank you Dave, I really value your input as I know you're very clued up on 'all things Shadows'. I also have the 40th anniversary and as you say these guitars are top class, they come straight from the factory with perfect action and intonation. Look good and are fabulous to play.
I love my 82 Strat but I must admit a very soft spot for Burns!!

Thanks for coming back to me,
Cheers CC
geronimo7476

Postby dave robinson » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:14 pm

My own Burns Marvin is one of the earlier ones with the neck pocket in tact, but I think that from a playing point of view that the modification to copy the Strat neck joint is an improvement regarding access at the body end of the neck. It may be that the original 'Marvin' had to be slightly different to the Strat due to patents at the time.
I regularly use my Marvin on solo gigs and it does command a lot of attention because of it's stunning looks - sounds good too! ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby geronimo7476 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:26 pm

Hi Dave, thanx again, In this 68 pic of me with my original 64 Marvin the neck pocket is pretty clearly visable. In my stupid days I swapped it for a Strat which I later sold, etc.
64-Burns-Marvin.gif
(156.5 KiB) Downloaded 9349 times

Cheers CC
geronimo7476

Return to Burns