what model was this?

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

what model was this?

Postby Mike Honey » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:20 pm

Memory is getting worst now but around 1963 I bought a Burns guitar from a mate for a fiver. It had a tiny body; red with a two piece black scratchplate. The headstock was oversized and i quickly sold it (for a profit!) and bought my first strat. Anyone got any ideas what model it may have been. If i saw a pic i would recognise it but i havent seen anything on the web.

mike
Mike Honey

Re: what model was this?

Postby JimN » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:16 pm

It sounds from your description like a Burns Sonic (the first Burns London production electric).

There's a pic at:

http://www.daydreamguitars.com/dbimages/s_Picture_144.jpg

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Mike Honey » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:46 pm

spot on jim! thanks very much. I've obviously been looking at tri- sonics!! It was nice to play but didnt seem to balance right on the strap. wish i still had it though!!

mike
Mike Honey

Postby RayL » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:32 pm

Hi Jim

I can't let your comment "the first Burns London production electric" go unchallenged! The Sonic may be a contemporary of the Vibra-Artist, but both were preceded by the Artist which, although only produced in small quantities, was nevertheless a 'production' guitar in Burns terms. The prototype Artist (P.53 of 'The Burns Book') is dated as 1959 and my very early model (with its 'reversed' colour scheme, seen here in its 'untouched' state in about 1964) is also possibly 1959 (source - letter from Phil Sweet/Storm, Jim Burns' right-hand man). The Artist model continued for a time in 1960 until Jim Burns had designed his first tremolo unit, which was then fited to the new Vibra-Artist and Sonic ranges.
roofcats.JPG
(36.63 KiB) Downloaded 6051 times

Ray

(keen-eyed viewers are no doubt saying "why is there what looks like a tremolo on your guitar, Ray?") The answer is that the Bigsby was already fitted when I bought the guitar in 1963. As the standard Artist had no tremolo it was probably fitted as a special order.
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby noelford » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:42 pm

At the start of the sixties I paid (with my mother's help!) £52 for my first quality guitar, a Burns Sonic. I've been interested to note that all the Sonics I've seen recently, particularly on eBay, have the tremelo fitted, but mine didn't have a trem. Here's a slightly fuzzy blow-up from an old pic.
Attachments
nfburns.jpg
(147.42 KiB) Downloaded 5989 times
noelford

Return to Burns