Burns Baldwin 335 style guitar

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Burns Baldwin 335 style guitar

Postby balston11 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:49 am

Hi Guys below is the text of an Email I have received can anyone help. Any further questions let me know and I'll ask him

Hello, Im looking to restore my grandmothers 60's Baldwin guitar, Im trying to find the wiring diagram, as the pots are bad and cannot read any info or get readings on my meter as to what values the pots are, I was told 500K and 250K but I want to put the correct parts in to preserve the originality as possible. It is in excellent condition and has been in its case most of its life. When I was a young boy, my grandmother would take the guitar out and I would drewel over it, lol! (Not really). It always had a loose volume or tone control and the wires got twisted and eventually broke. She has since passed and I wanted to restore this guitar in honor of my grandmother. Any info or schematic would be great for this project.
Bill
see my guitar website www.alston-family.co.uk
balston11

Full Real Name: William Alston

Re: Burns Baldwin 335 style guitar

Postby JimN » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:53 pm

What's the question? :-)

The guitar sounds like a Baldwin 706.

PS: Any good local luthier should be able to do the re-wiring plus any adjustments or set-up which proves necessary.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby cockroach » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:03 am

The pickup wiring harness and layout is relatively straightforward- pretty much a standard 2 pickup setup with tone and volume for each pickup and a selector switch- plus possibly a master volume pot as per JimN's photo- although I'm not sure that this control was standard on those models, and the pickups in that photo aren't standard either. Those Baldwin models were made in Italy BTW..
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:23 am

If those pickups are humbuckers they will need 500k pots and .022 caps.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby cockroach » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:37 am

balston11 wrote:Hi Guys below is the text of an Email I have received can anyone help. Any further questions let me know and I'll ask him

Hello, Im looking to restore my grandmothers 60's Baldwin guitar, Im trying to find the wiring diagram, as the pots are bad and cannot read any info or get readings on my meter as to what values the pots are, I was told 500K and 250K but I want to put the correct parts in to preserve the originality as possible. It is in excellent condition and has been in its case most of its life. When I was a young boy, my grandmother would take the guitar out and I would drewel over it, lol! (Not really). It always had a loose volume or tone control and the wires got twisted and eventually broke. She has since passed and I wanted to restore this guitar in honor of my grandmother. Any info or schematic would be great for this project.

Lots of images here- I'm sure it would be like many of those shown. As I said before, I would guess that any reasonable repairer/luthier in the vicinity of your correspondent could fix up the wiring etc

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=bald ... 73#imgrc=_
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby RayL » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:12 am

As the owner of a 712T (the thin-neck 12-string version) who has had the pots out for cleaning, the first really tricky part is wriggling the pots and their wiring harness out through the lower f-hole. The second really tricky part is getting them back. Before removing each pot, (having taken off the knob and securing nut) wrap some thin, tough, cord round each shaft and secure it with sellotape. Then as the pot is withdrawn, it leaves behind a cord (hanging out of the hole) which can be used to gently guide the pot (or a replacement pot) back in place.
Baldwin 712T.jpg
(15.67 KiB) Downloaded 7663 times

I don't remember the value of the pots, but as said above, 500K log for the volumes and 500K lin for the tones will give good results if you have to replace them. Also as mentioned above, the 700 series did not have a Master Volume control.
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Return to Burns