Per Gjorde new book on Jim Burns

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Per Gjorde new book on Jim Burns

Postby Billyboygretsch » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:10 pm

RayL wrote:Do you know if Per interviewed Norman Houlder?

Back in 2006 I recorded an interview with Norman at his home in Dagenham.
This was for a project of my own and I still have the audio recording.
Norman Houlder handshake.JPG

Norman had been working on some guitar necks. You can see them on the table.
Ray

Hi Ray
I believe Per did an interview with Norman. I would be interested to hear yours if possible
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Postby balston11 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:07 pm

I have pre-ordered mine
Bill
see my guitar website www.alston-family.co.uk
balston11

Full Real Name: William Alston

Postby Billyboygretsch » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:14 pm

Well done and thanks. We are doing ok on sales after just a few days so fingers crossed and let's hope we get the support from all those who have asked for an update.
Thanks for supporting. It's been a lot of work and we're not doing it for the money that's for sure.
Billyboygretsch

Postby balston11 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:50 pm

No worries I am looking forward to reading it you have been helpful to me in the past. I have posted details of the order page on both my web sites and will put it on the other guitar forums in the next few days.
Bill
see my guitar website www.alston-family.co.uk
balston11

Full Real Name: William Alston

Postby dusty fretz » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:56 pm

Regarding Rob's mention of the Marvin S prototypes, the relevant entry in The Burns Book was actually incomplete rather than totally incorrect. The details shown were obtained during my three year preparation period prior to publication and came from reliable, well-informed and authoritative sources. At that time I therefore had no reason to doubt the accuracy of the information provided, but of course memories can play tricks, even only ten years after the actual event, and with the benefit of a further four decades of research, it’s become clear that in this instance the recollections of those involved were somewhat confused.

Employing corroborative evidence amassed during the past 40 years since I wrote that first book, I’ve been able to piece together the various additional parts of this particular puzzle and come to what I believe are the correct conclusions. Accordingly enough, I now feel I finally know the complete, albeit quite convoluted story of this later variation on the Marvin theme, which actually involved two distinct versions, not to mention matching basses. References to certain features of both six-string designs were indeed included in The Burns Book back then, but unwittingly these were all attributed to only the earlier Marvin S, hence the confusion when further, seemingly contradictory facts have subsequently come to light.

I haven’t been involved in Per‘s new book, so I’m afraid I can’t comment on any specific content, such as appropriate updates or additional clarification concerning this subject.
dusty fretz

Postby Billyboygretsch » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:23 pm

I believe that all the new facts that have been revealed over the last few decades certainly put a more interesting light on the Marvin S story and in particular those supplied for use on the 67 Australian tour.
Billyboygretsch

Postby bor64 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:07 pm

Hi Paul,

The mentioning of the Marvin S type wasn't aimed at you and your excellent book, but I mentioned it because I've seen multiple threats, articles and publishing who just quote your tekst of 79..
Long after it was known and seen in video and on pics, the shads had more then one white... The green ones are lucky enough known and still around.
Of course it's only natural that almost 40 years later, things have surfaced after the first Burns book and rearrange the story as known before...
I'm still a big fan of the first book...I use one copy and I have one in pristine condition in my bookcase .... pity they are not signed by you ;)
I'm also a fan of pearls and diamonds and I'm sure I will be also a fan of the Jim Burns book!
Paul I can only hope, when the later is a succes, your are willing to think about to do the same and publish your Burns quest of the last 4 decades in the same way Per and Bill does...just ask a pre-order with a payment upfront.
I want one!
BTW is there a owner manual known for a Baldwin Virginian with the short Rez O Tube tremelo, how to adjust the tremelo?

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby Billyboygretsch » Mon May 01, 2017 12:09 pm

I am not sure that all the issues concerning the various Marvin S have been sorted but there is a lot of information about them and many photos addressing definite history and some well thought out detail. It includes a shot of one in 1967 with the owner which was purchased from the Burns Shop in St Giles
Billyboygretsch

Previous

Return to Burns