Marquee pickups

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Marquee pickups

Postby Traffo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:45 pm

Hi,

Has anyone fitted single coil sized humbuckers or Strat pickups in a Marquee?

If so what was used and what were the results.

I like burns guitars and don't want a Strat or a Burns MR2/3 ?

Thanks

Regards
Traffo

Re: Marquee pickups

Postby scmitche » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:35 pm

I've only just seen this so sorry for the late reply.
I fitted AlNiCo Strat style staggered pole pickups from Vanson, which are roughly Texas Special equivalent (possibly Artec). After carefully adjusting pickup heights using my ears (and a screwdriver of course before someone challenges that comment LOL) the difference was staggering and I play the Marquee more now than almost all of my guitars. Mine is a Black/Blue pearl pickguard/maple fingerboard model from 1999 and has had the original Point Classic tremolo replaced by the more expensive USA version. These guitars are superb when set up well.

Regards,
Steve
scmitche

Full Real Name: Steve Mitchell

Re: Marquee pickups

Postby Tab » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:00 pm

I have a Burns Drifter - not the LG50 that is being discussed on another thread - which was introduced in the late 90s and is exactly like the Marquee. This came fitted with Kinman pickups which I believe were the same as Hank used on his Strats to produce his more recent sounds, so I should imagine that Strat pickups could be fitted to your Marquee without problem.

The Drifter was an up market version of the Marquee, now discontinued, and, in my opinion, was devalued when the Marquee was introduced as they look the same but the Marquee was about a third of the price.

Contact Barry Gibson of Burns for the best advice on your guitar.
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Return to Burns